iSync & HTC Hero

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi all,

Need a quick answer, as I'm poised to get an HTC Hero.

My question is what are the support options for iSync?

Will iSync recognise it straight off ( doubt it )?

Are there third part developers offering a fix?

I really value being able to sync my phones, and bluetooth pairing for them

Attn Mods - sorry to post this twice, but not sure which is the best forum and need feedback asap:)

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

iSync is a depreciated system - its been replaced by SyncServices. I don;t know what HTC's plans are for creating Mac software so you will have to ask them what there plans are on that front. So far, MarkSpace, the company that creates a bunch of different sync solutions for phones does not list the Hero as a supported device.

Isn't that an android phone?

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Yes - it runs on Android.

Is SyncServices an Apple program? And is it out now? I've seen Markspace - but they have no email to contact them on.....

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

the beauty of android is that all syncing of mail/contacts/calendar is done over the air. if you are moving to the android world, put your contacts into google contacts and sync ical with google calendar via caldav.

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

This may be too late but I think it's about opening Address Book & going to: Preferences... > Accounts > Synchronize with Google, then following on-screen instructions.

Next go to iCal Preferences... > Accounts > "+" & add select Account Type: Google, then follow on-screen instructions

Finally configure the related services on HTC & you'll be syncing :)

PS: I came across this thread while searching for info about using the HTC Hero & Macs. I've ordered an HTC Hero, which will be delivered in two days.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Cheers MacRem -

I've done all that thanks - I was really hoping to sort it all out by syncing them direct but no can do. Hero is a really good phone - but beware there is NO bluetooth capability other then using an earpiece :(

There's plenty of rooting ( jailbreaking ) going on with the Hero which makes it a lot better and faster ( stock ones are a tad laggy ).

Head over to XDA developers website and it's all there...install Cyanogens recovery package and do a Nandroid backup to preserve your settings, then flash the latest (2.3) Modaco Rom. PM me if you need.

Video tutorials at Theunlockr.com.
    :D

8. diwrom macrumors newbie

diwrom

got the ical and google calendar sync'd...

Ok so I got my ical and google calendar talking, now I can not figure out how to get the google calendar synced to my htc calendar.. seeing that you have one.. have you figured it out?

9. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

That was pretty straight forward.

On the Hero - press 'settings > Data Synchronisation > Google > Calendar

Tap calendar so that the arrow is on ( tapping if on while start the synch straight away ).

10. diwrom macrumors newbie

diwrom

Thanks for the help!

Thank you! It was so simple, I feel silly. :p

11. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I don't think i get this? Syncing to Google calender syncs your contacts from your phone to the calendar? Maybe i mis-read this, but isn't there any other ways?

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

android automatically syncs your google contacts/calendar/gmail.

so if you have snow leopard, sync your address book with google contacts and your ical with google calendar.

13. alison51b macrumors newbie

I've tried what has been suggested on this thread to sync my HTC Hero to my calendar and contacts through Google, but I don't appear to have the "accounts" option in the Preferences menu of my iCal or AddressBook.

Does this only work if you're running Snow Leopard? My (rather elderly) iBook runs OSX 10.4.11 which I'm pretty sure ain't Snow Leopard...

Any ideas if it's possible to sync the Hero if you're not running Snow Leopard?

Thanks!
    Alison

14. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Alison - you're running Tiger ( which was superseded by Leopard, and then Snow Leopard ). And yes I think you need at least Leopard to sync iCal & AddressBook with Google.

You can get an application called ab2cvs ( google it ) - it will convert your contacts in AddressBook into a .csv file, which you can then import to your goole account ( and from there sync it to your Hero ).

Hope this helps :)

15. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

@Alison

I think i may have a solution, i think.

I had a discussion with an HTC Rep just last night. I have Windows 7 on Bootcamp, on my MBP. Tried to download HTC Sync, and the install failed because it isn't compatible yet with Windows 7 64 bit. Anyway, they told me to try and use my Google Account to sync my Contacts, since Android also syncs with your Google accounts.

Heres what you can do:

1. Login in to Google using your Gmail Account.
    2. Then, type in http://www.google.com/contacts
    3. This should have all of the contacts that you have either on your phone running Android, or any other contacts you have added using any other Google Account.

Anytime you Add/Remove or change anything in Contacts, they will also be synced with Android. For example, last night i went through and corrected names, and enter missing last names. Today, when i checked my phone contacts they were all updated.

Hope this helps some what. Oh, i also created another group in Contacts, called Cell Phone, so i could keep it some what separate from all other contacts.

16. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I mentioned getting an Android phone (HTC Hero) earlier in this thread. At first I liked it a lot but there were several things I disliked, for instance:
    • frequently spending time in app to manage (kill) apps that remained in memory
    • so-so performance (not bad, not great)
    • mediocre wifi: losing connection in places where other devices stay connected
    • waiting for HTC to release Android 2.1 for the Hero
    • no solution for Linux nor Mac users
    HTC's Sense UI & the ability to leave Sipdroid in the background were great. Battery life was better than my new iPhone. IMO overall it's decent but nothing compares to an iPhone.

17. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

-Your not suppose to be using an App manager in Android. Android is Linux based and will kill apps when memory is running low.
    -Sprint and HTC already announced on Twitter that Android 2.1 would be coming in early Q2.

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Good point, yet as I recall Taskiller was among the most popular apps in the Market. I was hoping freeing memory would make the browser a tad faster
    IF HTC meets this commitment, that's 7-8 months after 2.0 released with no 2.x version!! In human years, the Hero will be ~68 years old :D

19. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It was the most popular app in the market because the first thing the sales reps at Verizon do is download Advanced Task Killer.

I know I know. I am waiting for my 2.1 upgrade for my Droid Eris. It's coming very soooooon.