iSync misbehaving

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, May 19, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

well, i have a W810i and, unlike many of you, it does work fine with bluetooth and iSync but i have this to say.
    when i sync, most of the times, the sync is towards the mac, meaning that changes on the phone are applied to the mac's address book and not the other way. but almost every time, it applies a small change to my phone's contacts as well,i really don't know why.
    is there any way i can make iSync to leave my phone intact and just change the address book according to what it finds on the phone?
    i know all this will be solved when i get my hands on an iphone, but that's roughly about a year away for me, so if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it?
    maybe a plug in of sorts to add more options to the sync?

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think that is the whole purpose of syncing a phone with address book. The info should go both ways if operations correctly. (I have had issues with an old Palm Pilot Zire and not syncing correctly every time though) Unfortunately that is how sycing works-- to actually sync rather than back up your data...I am unaware of a plug-in that would only send info one way- and I would be surprised if the iPhone would do it that way either. If you enter an address/phone in Address book why wouldn't you want it on your phone and vice versa.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

you missed my point...
    i understand of course that syncing goes both ways, but iSync changes stuff on my phone that it doesn't need to change, that's what i'm saying...
    my most up to date contact list is on my phone, that's why i want the one way syncing

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I figured that's what it was. I was being sarcastic- guess I forgot to add the rolling eyes to my post...sorry.

I have had some issues with isync changing items incorrectly that I deleted or added in iCal or on the palm. It doesn't always seem to follow the time/date stamp when something was added, changed or deleted.

I know with .Mac there is a way to reset using only one set up data with your choice of using lMac or a computer's data, but not sure if iSync allows for that with a phone- which is why I guess you are asking huh.:rolleyes:

Sorry I can't be more help- hopefully someone else will chime in with advice...good luck.

5. wngraham macrumors regular

I'm on a Windows machine at work right now, but there is a setting (I believe under iSync preferences) that will cause changes to only go one way. I've got iSync and my Razr V3 set up this way.

6. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

nope, nothing like that in iSync's preferences

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

When you open iSync and you click on your phone icon- is there anything under those options that allows you to sync one way? It is not under preferences, but under the actual device icon? I have never sync'd a phone, just a palm so I don't know what optiions show up-