it arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richdj, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Richdj macrumors member

so i got woken up at 9am this morning after a late shift, but i wasnt angry as it was my new macbook pro knocking at the door wanting to come in!! ..

anyway its here, so im just waiting for the battery to fully charge before i turn it on.

one quick question, i have bought 4gb ram to install, is it best i install this before i turn it on for the first time or dosent that matter ?

also posted the other day about first things to do when i get my mac, a few people told me i should reinstall mac os.... but how do i go about this is there an option for that when i turn it on ?

thankis guys..loooking forward to becoming all things mac !! YAY Bye Bye windows and vista yipeeeeeee!!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

1. You don't have to wait until it's fully charged before turning it on. I don't know where you have stumbled upon that myth.

2. Ram doesn't matter although it might be a good idea to use the MBP a couple of days and make sure everything works fine before putting in potentially bad RAM. It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

3. Pop in the Install DVD, hold down C and press the DVD icon that shows up. The rest should be cake. Make sure to press 'custom install' and remove printers, apps and languages you don't need.

4. Enjoy your new mac!

3. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

excellent cheers dude

i just read it on a thing on the mac site about calibrating a battery or something

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

point 1 says fully charge it
    point 2 says let it rest in full charge mode and you can use you computer at this time....i probably read it wrong and did think it a bit weird...

anyway thasnks for the advice, should i power it up once then do the reinstal or do it on first switch on.

Your answers prob going to be .. just turn the bloody thing on lol !!!

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Here's the usual ritual (you may want to skip a few steps initially seeing it's your first mac):

1. Get a 10 foot pole.
    2. Paint it red from top to bottom.
    3. Place outside.
    4. Place the MBP beside the pole.
    5. Take off your clothes.
    6. Smear your body in Jello.
    7. Pick up 1 skull and 1 long wand of birch.
    8. Light candles and run around the pole and MBP yelling with your ding dong rotating like something you can't imagine for 2 hours.
    9. Now it's safe to turn it on.

Seriously: turn the dang thing on, reinstall, make it work, then Calibrate your battery (make sure it's fully charged, drain it until it sleeps, wait until it stops pulsating, then recharge fully).

;)

5. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

hehehehehe .... cool cheers fella, its turning on now .. YAY!!

ps skipped the pole thing this time :D

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

But you did rub yourself in with Jello? I am sorry if I wasn't clear that this step was mandatory, with or without clothes...

7. Wolvngelz macrumors member

two thumbs up for Jiddick btw, been extremely helpful lately.

I myself just got my MBP y'day and I also did get 4GB of RAM.

I decided not to install it off the bat so that when I do I can see what sort of difference in makes.

Basically, just wantd to reply to say how extremely EASY it was to replace the RAM on this thing. Everything looks small and fragile but they really hold up.

Enjoy your new MBP ^^

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Thanks. It's nice to get credit where credit is due. :)

Btw to the OP: when inserting the new RAM, remember to push until it clicks, else it won't be properly seated. It takes quite some force but you won't break it.

9. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

lol yer i did do the jello bit... felt kinda nice

Yeah thumbs up too pal, everyone has been great on this site... i just wanted to get everything right to look after my new little friend.
    Been waiting for this thing for months since my last (vaio) laptop got stolen grrrr.

anyway the waits over...

Cheers for the heads up on the ram too, i did read about replacing it in the book. and did think shall i try this myself or shall i wait till my PC computer friendly house mate get here on Saturday... so its good to know i can do it, but i will wait for a little while... cherrs guys!!

10. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I ordered a glossy screen 15 MPB, which MacMall said it may not have in stock until March 17. akjfkyjhfaksfdd

11. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

Guys sorry to be a nuisance, i fanally got round to the reinstall of leopard.

I clicked custom install but for some reason cant uncheck the languages box, to take out the languages..... similarly in the apps bit - Garage band isnt checked and is light grey, i want to install that but cant check it.

what have i done wrong ?

12. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

As for languages, you need to have at least one checked (English) AFAIK.

As for GarageBand, you probably already have it installed, so it's not going to give you the option of installing again.

13. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

hi mate, when i open the languages box i cant uncheck any of the foriegn ones.

yes garage band is already on there, i thought i was taking things off and fresh install maybe ive done it wrong :confused:

14. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

That is weird. Did you click "Customize" and choose "Erase and Install?" This will erase all your data and give you the fresh install you are looking for.

15. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

i clicked customise but not erase and install, i didnt see that option ...trying again now

16. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

ok found that option, erase and install, to drive mac osx journaled

thats solved the language check box problem ... but i still cant click garage band or i photo, there both in light grey ?!?!?!

17. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I'm going to guess it's because they are already installed. Why not give the install a try without the two, and if they arent there, you can install them separately later.

Just to emphasize this once more, The erase and install will delete ALL of your data from the computer. Make sure you have a backup to restore your files from.

18. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

yer its ok mate its brand new nnothing on there.

19. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

roflmao