Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
We've got the smaller iPhone 11 Pro and the larger iPhone 11 Pro Max.

So why not a smaller iPhone 11 with the larger current iPhone 11? Cater to all audiences. Just like the Pros, and just like the previous 8/7/6 series with their Plus siblings.

There's no denying that the iPhone XR/11 are great value, but I'm sure many folks don't want a phone as large and heavy as they are. As a current iPhone SE user, I sure as hell would've upgraded to a smaller iPhone 11 if Apple offered one. I know rumours are saying that the next "iPhone SE 2" will simply be a refresh of the iPhone 8 design but this is a sorely missed opportunity to just simply make a smaller iPhone XR/11 instead.

Reactions: asleep

macher

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2012
We've got the smaller iPhone 11 Pro and the larger iPhone 11 Pro Max.

So why not a smaller iPhone 11 with the larger current iPhone 11? Cater to all audiences. Just like the Pros, and just like the previous 8/7/6 series with their Plus siblings.

There's no denying that the iPhone XR/11 are great value, but I'm sure many folks don't want a phone as large and heavy as they are. As a current iPhone SE user, I sure as hell would've upgraded to a smaller iPhone 11 if Apple offered one. I know rumours are saying that the next "iPhone SE 2" will simply be a refresh of the iPhone 8 design but this is a sorely missed opportunity to just simply make a smaller iPhone XR/11 instead.

Yea I’m with you. The rumored SE won’t have the good specs.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
I’m guessing their numbers didn’t show it to be a profitable option ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Apple is not really known to do things on a whim. They have solid data / facts to back their decisions.

Reactions: Azathoth123

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
You are weird for preferring a smaller phone. You need to adjust and go with bigger phones because Apple knows best. You’re not allowed to have an opinion on phone sizes. Smaller phones are for people with insecurities while big phones are for people who know best. You cannot publicly announce that a small phone will be better for you because that’s not true. Get with the program and deal with a big phone. You’ll adjust. You’ll get used to it. You’ll wonder how you were able to live with a smaller phone before.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
You are weird for preferring a smaller phone. You need to adjust and go with bigger phones because Apple knows best. You’re not allowed to have an opinion on phone sizes. Smaller phones are for people with insecurities while big phones are for people who know best. You cannot publicly announce that a small phone will be better for you because that’s not true. Get with the program and deal with a big phone. You’ll adjust. You’ll get used to it. You’ll wonder how you were able to live with a smaller phone before.

This is actually so true up-to an extent. I held on to the 5S for a bit and thought that the 6 would be too big, but when I got the 6 it was really easy to get used to.

Same situation happened with the 6, held on to it for 3 years fearing upgrade to the plus size but then finally took the plunge and got the 8 Plus. Immediately, I felt the size in hand. It was a bit painful to handle the device one handed while on public transport. I never really got used to the size, even after upgrading the the Xs Max the next year.

Finally, I buckled this year and went with the normal 11 Pro. Especially when the battery life is much improved now. So I figured, that’s the sweet spot for my hand

Reactions: Azathoth123

macher

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2012
This is actually so true up-to an extent. I held on to the 5S for a bit and thought that the 6 would be too big, but when I got the 6 it was really easy to get used to.

Same situation happened with the 6, held on to it for 3 years fearing upgrade to the plus size but then finally took the plunge and got the 8 Plus. Immediately, I felt the size in hand. It was a bit painful to handle the device one handed while on public transport. I never really got used to the size, even after upgrading the the Xs Max the next year.

Finally, I buckled this year and went with the normal 11 Pro. Especially when the battery life is much improved now. So I figured, that’s the sweet spot for my hand

I have the 11 Pro and also kept my 8. I much prefer the 8 form factor. I often swap between the 2 cause I like the 8.

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Apple wants us all to have big screens as Apple TV+, Apple News+ and Apple Arcade all look better on big screens.

And in general, the majority of people perceive a bigger screen to be better value.

Agree with the OP though :)

Seanm87

macrumors 68000
Oct 10, 2014
I think it’s probably because the bezels would look ridiculous on a smaller phone.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think it’s probably because the bezels would look ridiculous on a smaller phone.

Actually, i’d wager consumers don’t care about bezels. Sure, on forums like this, you’re gonna have those who are very particular but whatever Apple does, it’s kind of like the notch, no one outside these forms cares to discuss anything about the notch, but people like to whine/gripe about Apples design functions on sites like this. It’s pretty typical behavior.

Reactions: bluecoast

pt3000

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Apple knows what they’re doing. If you want a smaller phone they have the 11pro available for you

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Not enough demand for it, most people want bigger devices and that will only continue to increase.

Also they are pushing the likes of TV+ and the viewing experience with this aspect ratio on a small device wouldn’t be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.