IT Called Today

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

May 3, 2014
    Somehow or another, I have managed a reputation for being a "Mac guy."

In any case, our college(not University) tech support person called me and asked if I could find a use for four G5s. Of course, I said yes-when can I come?

I got back with them a little while ago.

There's a dual 2.7 with a 6800 Ultra, along with three Quads. All three Quads are specified with 4gb and a 7800, although one has a 6600. All also have AP and BT.

As University Property still, they can't leave campus, but I'm still happy to have them sitting in my office :)
  2. RedCroissant Suspended

Aug 13, 2011
    That's absolutely amazing. I think it's time to make one really awesome Quad running 4 displays, RAIDed HDDs/SSDs...
  3. tevion5 macrumors 68000

Jul 12, 2011
    I'm torn.

I'm so happy for you to get so many sweet G5's, even if you can't haul them home ( just yet ;) ).

At the same time I feel annoyed that I spent around €200 on a Quad this summer. You americans have life so good. In fairness I did nab a mint condition 1GHz Quicksilver from my own university for keeps in my first semester. But still, free Quads are the best.

Use them wisely. And by that I mean do as many nonsensical hardware upgrades as your credit card will permit.
  4. flyrod macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2015
  5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2015
    Mountaintop Lair
  6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

May 3, 2014
    I already leave my(personal) Quad and Mac Pro on 24/7, along with an SGI Octane. The Quad sleeps, but the Mac Pro doesn't(fan control weirdness due to upgrading to 2,1 firmware) and the SGI doesn't really have a low-power sleep mode. I also have a beige G3 with a bunch of power-hungry upgrades(15K drives, Sonnet 1ghz G4) and these aren't capable of "deep sleep" like later Macs. Between those, things already stay on the warmer side. I had one of the new Quads in TDM this afternoon to zero it, and could tell the difference in temperature with it running.

Somehow or another, I suspect that I won't be running all at the same time :)

On the other hand, I'm starting to get enough G5s that I could make a dent in replicating System X :) . Only 1,991 to go!
  7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

Apr 26, 2014
    Talk to @Surrat if you need more!
  8. Surrat macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2014
    United States

Nice score on those macs! Make sure you check that 2.7, I got mine, and it looked mint condition, but under the cpu blocks, it was leaking and fuzzing white rice. I converted it to air cooling.

Speaking of Quads, both mine fail thermal calibration. I even swapped cpu modules between the two Quads, and same thing, cpu exceeded max temperature. Its pretty frustrating. I suppose all four cpu's have bad thermal sensors. I need to run that test on my 2.3dc and see if its ok.