IT Called Today

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Somehow or another, I have managed a reputation for being a "Mac guy."

In any case, our college(not University) tech support person called me and asked if I could find a use for four G5s. Of course, I said yes-when can I come?

I got back with them a little while ago.

There's a dual 2.7 with a 6800 Ultra, along with three Quads. All three Quads are specified with 4gb and a 7800, although one has a 6600. All also have AP and BT.

As University Property still, they can't leave campus, but I'm still happy to have them sitting in my office :)

2. RedCroissant Suspended

That's absolutely amazing. I think it's time to make one really awesome Quad running 4 displays, RAIDed HDDs/SSDs...

3. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I'm torn.

I'm so happy for you to get so many sweet G5's, even if you can't haul them home ( just yet ;) ).

At the same time I feel annoyed that I spent around €200 on a Quad this summer. You americans have life so good. In fairness I did nab a mint condition 1GHz Quicksilver from my own university for keeps in my first semester. But still, free Quads are the best.

Use them wisely. And by that I mean do as many nonsensical hardware upgrades as your credit card will permit.

4. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I already leave my(personal) Quad and Mac Pro on 24/7, along with an SGI Octane. The Quad sleeps, but the Mac Pro doesn't(fan control weirdness due to upgrading to 2,1 firmware) and the SGI doesn't really have a low-power sleep mode. I also have a beige G3 with a bunch of power-hungry upgrades(15K drives, Sonnet 1ghz G4) and these aren't capable of "deep sleep" like later Macs. Between those, things already stay on the warmer side. I had one of the new Quads in TDM this afternoon to zero it, and could tell the difference in temperature with it running.

Somehow or another, I suspect that I won't be running all at the same time :)

On the other hand, I'm starting to get enough G5s that I could make a dent in replicating System X :) . Only 1,991 to go!

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Talk to @Surrat if you need more!

8. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

LOL

Nice score on those macs! Make sure you check that 2.7, I got mine, and it looked mint condition, but under the cpu blocks, it was leaking and fuzzing white rice. I converted it to air cooling.

Speaking of Quads, both mine fail thermal calibration. I even swapped cpu modules between the two Quads, and same thing, cpu exceeded max temperature. Its pretty frustrating. I suppose all four cpu's have bad thermal sensors. I need to run that test on my 2.3dc and see if its ok.