It costs just $1.36 to charge an iPad for a year

Discussion in 'iPad' started by supertonic, Jun 21, 2012.

1. supertonic macrumors member

http://news.yahoo.com/costs-just-1-36-charge-ipad-212452585--finance.html

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

not sure why this is worthy of a post (no offense). it's such a small device power consumption wise, so it's not much of a surprise.

if you want a scare, go see how much electricity your cable box uses ... (hint: it uses more than your refrigerator)

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

cable is over priced ontop of that.

bottom line, get netflix and hulu. Ditch your cable.

5. ericdubya macrumors newbie

It's a $1.36 a year to charge at home, and $3 for 30 minutes at the airport.

[​IMG]

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

that is great

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm about to do that myself. I just need to set up something to stream it.

Anyway from the standpoint of electrical consumption during use, if this offsets the use of other more power hungry devices, then that is good.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not sure why this is worthy of a post.

I found it interesting, which generation iPad is this article targeting? The 3 with its beefed up battery? I guess either way, it's still quite a bit cheaper than I thought.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That's a good idea!

10. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I thought this was post worthy. I found it interesting anyway.

And your post just gave me another reason to be glad I don't have cable!

11. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

It's just like gas, gouged to our last pennies!

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

you found it interesting to know that the iPad uses little electricity each year?

you must have a really boring life, gosh

----------

oh i ditched cable long ago. i get DTV channels for ABC/NBC/CBS, then used shared accounts for netflix, hulu+, etc

my digital entertainment cost is ~$4 / mo

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

So once you paid to charge your device at this fine looking station, do you just stand around holding it for 30 minutes while it charges?

I'd pay to use power outlets at an airport, but only if at a chair or desk type area.

14. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Lol it cost a whole lot more then $1.36 in Australia thanks to our wonderful carbon tax. Electricity prices going up 20% July 1 thanks to our government.

15. qCzar macrumors regular

We're not discussing monthly prices, but the electricity to run it over a year. Your digital entertainment cost may be $4 a month but the electricity to run it may be less per year. It's not just a cable box that uses a lot of electricity. It's Satellite boxes too, these days our TV boxes keep two channels (even four and six!) open and continually recording so you can swap between the two, rewind. They have to connect to a network and sync the TV schedules, get those ads at the bottom of the TV Guide and probably a bit more stuff. However, if you bought a digital antenna from a retail store, you're not using all that power a Cable/Satellite Box would).

It's pretty useless information but those who are frugal (people who are rich and middle class can be frugal, as those who are poor usually are) on their spending may find this useful. I'd be interested to know how much power other devices use, such as game systems and room fans/heaters use in a year.

16. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Power question

I leave my iPad w/ 6ft extension cable plugged in to my iPad dock 24/7 for easy accessibility. Is it sucking the same amount of power regardless of whether there's anything charging, or is there like a sleep mode?

I suppose it's costing significantly more than $1.36 to have it plugged in all the time. I also use it to charge other devices by switching out the cables.

17. ericdubya macrumors newbie

I guess, just camp out. I've never used them or saw them being used. Though I've seen them in many airports.

18. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

unfortunately you jumped into things in the middle so you missed what i was saying. i quoted a guy who said cable is a rip off and i agreed and said what my alternative set up is and what my end result monthly cost is. it had nothing to do with the $1.36 / yr in electricity that the iPad uses.

what started the conversation with him was that i said there really is no point in this entire thread as what did people honestly expect from an iPad? i said what would be more of a shocker (in a bad way) was if someone posted how a cable box uses more electricity than a refrigerator. then it went off from there.

no worries though, that's the problem with forums. people jump into the middle of things and we can't all be expected to read pages worth of posts leading up to it

19. qCzar macrumors regular

Oops, you're right. To be honest on my end, I read all the posts (as we're in the first page or two) but didn't pay much mind to the usernames attached to posts :)

I'll follow the quote chain next time!

20. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

no worries dude