iPad mini It doesn't feel like a downgrade from the 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

If you love the experience. The size, the weight the LOOK then you will definitely love the iPad mini and not miss the iPad 3. I don't miss my old fat iPad 3 one bit.

As for the screen, it's just like eh I wish it was better but I can definitely work with it! At least that's for me.

Ugh you're sexier than my 5.

Attached Files:

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Think I'm 'up/down'grading to the mini from the 3rd Gen too :)

3. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Honest question for ya:

Do you think if the screen hadn't gotten so much negative attention in reviews, here, etc., that you would have noticed it as a downside at all?

Just wondering if all the hoop-lah is causing everyone to look at it with an overly critical eye. I know that until now, I really didn't notice anything bad about my iPad 2 display. But after all the discussion about the Mini, I compared with my wife's 3rd gen more, and now I've started noticing the pixels more than I was before.

Almost wish I didn't read these forums before product launches... It's like they train your mind to notice these little flaws that normally you might not have even noticed or cared about.

4. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I think owning a iPad 3 first then going to the mini has more to do with it than reading the forums. I can just really tell the difference but I can deal. It's not like omg this is horrible. Is like omg this is okay just wished it was better (since I owned a 3)

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I think all the negative review actually attributed to my hasty buying decision :)

My first impression of 163PPI was... "EWWWW", but I was going to try it you anyway.

All the negative reviews in the past week leading to this launch made me think the screen is as bad as iPad 2... so I went in with zero to negative expectations.

As a result... the actual product blown me away as it's WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED. So I picked one up on the spot.

Thanks to negative previews, there was no line up :) That made my day.

6. LSUtigers03, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Do you play high end games? If so how do they run on the mini compared to the 3?

I have a 2 and I've never thought the screen was bad because I've never used a retina iPad. So I guess I won't have an issue with the screen?

7. joelk2 macrumors regular

i take the view in the same way i do about pixel peeping with cameras.

im no peeper. it displays sharp enough images for everyday use.

8. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Lol thanks for sharing this, I hadn't even considered that lower expectations could be a good thing. The way people having been talking about it, I'm expecting 8-bit Mario graphics or something lol... Will be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

1 hour ago, I was second guessing my purchase. Now, the screen isn't bad since you're holding it arm's length away and not as close as you would with an iPhone. You do not notice it unless you actually LOOK for it. Watching videos and playing games makes it even better.

10. matthijst macrumors regular

Try reading a book or a magazine in Zinio.
    Or small text on a website...

All of the above are prefectly readable without zooming in on the iPhone, so it could be just as nice on a Mini.
    But it's not, cause of the crappy display.

11. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Exactly! You do not notice unless you stare and try to look for it.

----------

I'm reading this text from the mini without zooming it...

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Your thread is killing me. I ordered 2 minis with the intention of giving both as gifts for Xmas.....today was already going to be hard not opening them lol. Now your thread is making me want to sell my 3+4g and keep one of the minis........ughhhhhhh haha.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes screen is noticeably non retina. But its much improved over the ipad 2 and is similar to my 11.6" mba which we don't hear people complaing about, so I can live with it.

Likewise performance seems to be almost identical to my ipad 3, I cant really tell any difference even webpages are not checker-boarding on me as I thought they might with 512mb.

So yeah, a downgrade from my iPad 3 = not really. More of a side-grade for a more portable and dare I say aesthetically better looking device.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

There's plenty at boylston probably. That's a flagship store.

15. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Looks like the mini is on par with the 3 performance wise.

"Reading apps may not be computationally taxing, but games are, and there is no compromise in the iPad Mini’s performance. In both the Geekbench and SunSpider benchmarks, the Mini performs identically to the iPad 3 — about 750 in Geekbench (where bigger means faster) and 1,450ms in SunSpider (where lower times are faster).3 The new iPad 4 blows those numbers away (1,750 Geekbench, 850ms SunSpider), but I’d say iPad 3-caliber performance in a $329 radically smaller device is pretty good. I was not expecting iPad 3 performance in the Mini. But it’s there, and that makes the iPad Mini great for games. I think there are going to be a staggering number of iPad Minis in Santa’s sack this year." - John Gruber Daring Fireball

http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/ipad_mini

16. children macrumors regular

Seems like a downgrade for me, that said, I think the portability trumps display downgrade.

I used to have a Samsung galaxy tab 7.7 witch was the perfect size, but was leggy as hell, then I upgraded to a iPad 3, which was fantastic but was too big and heavy

the Mini, IMO is the ideal tablet.

17. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Oh man old Boston. My old city.

18. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to just buy the device that I like best and not give a **** what anyone on an anonymous message board thinks.

Novel concept, I know.