Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Not sure what others think, but in the past few weeks we've seen a more steady stream of leaks regarding Apple Watch such as the app. Doesn't anyone else feel like the Watch seems imminent, everyone seems to be backing about it much more and this forum seems to be more active than it was in the past.

I personally think the Apple Watch/Spring Event will be within 5 weeks.

mdmt619

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
I'm getting a similar feeling. If this Apple Store training event really is mid February, I have a hard time seeing them giving Apple Store employees training before all of the last details and pricing is announced in a keynote...

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Complete guess: Announcement event first or second Tuesday of March. Release second to last or last Friday of March.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Complete guess: Announcement event first or second Tuesday of March. Release second to last or last Friday of March.

Just speculation, but usually when Apple has a product event, the 'main item' they announce goes on sale the following Friday. So, if lets say, it's an announcement on the 3rd, the release could be on the 13th.

dylman

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Unless I've missed it, I don't think we've had any leaks from mass production yet, parts, moulds etc. Until we see those I don't think release could be described as imminent.

Having said that, I'm hoping for March as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
We know they won't have an event the same week as Mobile World Congress (MWC) but if they haven't had an event before that that would be the perfect time to send out an invite.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Unless I've missed it, I don't think we've had any leaks from mass production yet, parts, moulds etc. Until we see those I don't think release could be described as imminent.

Having said that, I'm hoping for March as well.

You have not missed thing and are correct. We will KNOW when it's becoming 'imminent' when the parts pics start rolling in. So as of now production has not started and the release is NOT imminent so we are likely still a couple of months away.

banyanjd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Or they used this major launch to put all the pieces together for the 'double down on security' strategy. This would be the perfect occasion.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Or they used this major launch to put all the pieces together for the 'double down on security' strategy. This would be the perfect occasion.

Apple can't do much more than it does to double down on security on OEMs (Apple doesn't run any of the production/supply companies). You have dozens of companies involved and there will be tens of thousands of employees involved most with camera phones.

Also they are paid a peasant's wage and can easily make a years worth by suppling a 3ed party with a part picture.

It's inevitable that we will see pics.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You have not missed thing and are correct. We will KNOW when it's becoming 'imminent' when the parts pics start rolling in. So as of now production has not started and the release is NOT imminent so we are likely still a couple of months away.

That's assuming Apple is handling manufacturing just like they do iPhones and iPads. Of course Apple hasn't said so we're left to rumors from the supply chain. Somehow Apple has been able to build what they showed off last year and what various Apple employees are using right now without any parts leaks. Maybe it's a small enough batch that they could really control it. Or maybe this will be more like the Mac Pro which never had part leaks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Somehow Apple has been able to build what they showed off last year and what various Apple employees are using right now without any parts leaks. Maybe it's a small enough batch that they could really control it. Or maybe this will be more like the Mac Pro which never had part leaks.

Prototypes are fabricated in Jony Ive's lair. No leaks can happen. The :apple:Watch will be produced by Quanta Computer.

banyanjd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
You are probably right based on the past. But I can't help feeling that this is their chance at a reset of the supply chain opportunity. They seem to find ways to correct deficiencies over time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well it is 2015, so hopefully we'll be rolling out next month (isn't that the expectation - February?)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Prototypes are fabricated in Jony Ive's lair. No leaks can happen. The :apple:Watch will be produced by Quanta Computer.

So all the watches currently being worn/tested by Apple employees are prototypes from Apple's design lab?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So all the watches currently being worn/tested by Apple employees are prototypes from Apple's design lab?

Correct, none are from the supply chain. Apple has (almost) complete fabricating equipment (including chip production) on site to build prototypes to avoid any leaks during R&D.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My very uneducated guess says pre-orders starting the first half of February like when the iPod mini came out so folks can buy them as Valentine's Day gifts....but not shipping until second half of March (like the iPod minis did...)

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Not sure what all the launch mystery is. Apple said it would come out "early" this year. That would mean first quarter which ends March 31. Unless there is some unforeseen delay, you'll see it shipping by the last 1-2 weeks of March so Apple can recognize some revenue for Q1 and make the investors happy.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
In times like these when everyone has a smartphone, no one needs a watch.
They will sell a few millions in the first week, before the peoples notice, that they don't need another watch.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
In times like these when everyone has a smartphone, no one needs a watch.
They will sell a few millions in the first week, before the peoples notice, that they don't need another watch.
I hope you like crow.

I think if Apple wants to make it to where people can pre-order for a Valentines Day gift, which is plausible, then they'll have an event in the first or second week of February. My guess is that the watch will be on wrists by March 13 however, and my guess is March 6.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
We know they won't have an event the same week as Mobile World Congress (MWC) but if they haven't had an event before that that would be the perfect time to send out an invite.

why not? would be great idea to upstage MWC with an event announcement.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I hope you like crow.

I think if Apple wants to make it to where people can pre-order for a Valentines Day gift, which is plausible, then they'll have an event in the first or second week of February. My guess is that the watch will be on wrists by March 13 however, and my guess is March 6.

It might have been easier if you just quoted my post...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.