Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heavensblade23

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I would probably care less if 4.0 wasn't such an important upgrade. I use the iPad for 8 hours straight sometimes and it's annoying to go without multitasking for that long.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
:rolleyes:

When version 4 is released for the iPad, it will be the same 4.whatever that the iPhone has been brought up to. They're not going to release "4.0" for the iPad. Probably what will happen is that 4.1 will be released for all iOS devices simultaneously.

I have a feeling whatever version will be the next iPad release (in Fall) will possibly have more features than the same iOS 4 that's packed into the iP4/3GS and the touch units.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I think you'll start to see a burst of new apps as soon as iOS 4.x hits the iPad.

Multitasking alone will allow for a whole new class of useful apps.

Just be patient for a couple of months. There is a whole lot of functionality in 3.2 that didn't make it into 4.0. They need to integrate these, so we'll probably see a big update for iPhone and iPod Touch when the iPad update comes out.

I expect we'll see the iPad iOS update at the same time the new iPod Touches come out for back-to-school.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I care about OS synchronization because I paid roughly as much as an unsubsidized iPhone (Some people paid substantially more), and I don't like being six months behind on OS updates. Not that hard to understand.

I think you need some perspective - some of us are still waiting for the iPad TO BE RELEASED. There's still no release date for the 2nd run of countries, so if anyone has the right to feel second-class, then it's us.

Mrwhite

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
In all honesty apple are proberbly delaying os4.0 untill november for the fact that it is going to cost for the upgrade, something they cant do with i phone due to laws if they released it now and charged for it everyone will lose their minds

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I was so happy when the update came the other day. It really did feel like the ipad was being totally ignored.
And when I watched the video of the press conference that Steve had, and he said "it's not like we've been sleeping on those issue for three months," I about screamed.
Apple is getting lazy, or their just using their resources on something top secret and forgetting about all of the existing products.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
So you now understand how is it to be a mexican in the US..xD

I think IOS4 on ipad is going to bring A+ features.....just be patient...

As for now im a 1st class citizen with my iPhone4 xD

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Part of the fun is having THE tech item of the moment. iPhone stole some of iPad's thunder, and it's not like it ruins the device.....but it's just not as fun of an experience. There's something about having the most-talked about thing out there. It bumps the experience from a 90% to a 100%.

iPad's didn't last long enough.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
There are 200,000 apps on the app store right now but maybe 5% are them are for the iPad.

.... but keep in mind the large proportion of apps for the iPhone are basically simplified web pages, for example 'Sky News'. You don't need a Sky News app for the iPad because you can easily read the news from the Sky website in Safari (if you wanted to that is ;) ). OK, so quite a few have location services built in, such as Trip Advisor, but hey, if you don't know where you are ....

Effectively, the size of the screen on the iPad negates the need for a large number of the apps available for iPhone.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
It shouldn't be like that

The iPad should be a product that differs from the iPhone and iPod Touch, not a branch or a big brother, it should have different things, like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, this stuff is unique, it makes you want to buy the iPad, like iPhone users have iMovie. If Apple is holding on to release the iOS 4.0 for iPad it must be worth it, lets hope it has new features or at least features adapted for the iPad, lets hope multitasking is more like a Mac multitasking and not like an iPhone fast app switch.

The iPad has a bigger screen, come on, use it Apple, stop bringing the same things that come for iPhone to this big screen, and its kind of stupid to release a big upgrade like iOS 4.0 is and not release it the same date for iPad users to enjoy it, it's not like this is something stupid or small, its something that really was necessary. Multitasking is not a new feature invented by Apple, most mobile devices have this kind of stuff, why not have it for iPad, I just don't understand, and don't get me wrong, I love my iPad and enjoy it very much, it's just this shouldn't be this way.

futurase

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Fayetteville, AR
I would venture to say that this fall is when the iPad and iPhone split on how they run several things. If Apple changes nothing they would have put multi-tasking on the ipad to begin with or at least released it same time as the iphone.

I would image MT will be different on the ipad. No reason to just have the bottom of the screen split and you swap the entire screen when you go from one program to the next. The ipad has enough screen real estate to do split windows like Expose in SL. The ipad has the screen size to make that feasible and that is VERY much worth waiting for.

Apple is just waiting to put MT on the ipad. They are waiting because it will be different. Different in a good way. No other reason to wait whatsoever. If I had a Expose type of MT on the ipad it will make it a full blown computer almost. I already love mine and for what it is, but that kind of upgrade significantly pushes it forward. If it had a USB 3.0 port people would bow down and worship it!:D

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
OP is right on some counts though.. Multitasking is needed on the iPad.

Running Pandora on the iPad is completely useless. No one is going to launch a music app and then shove their iPad into their pockets and listen with headphones. If it wasn't for multitasking, I wouldn't miss 4.0 one bit.

Thank goodness for jailbreaking :)

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
I think you need some perspective - some of us are still waiting for the iPad TO BE RELEASED. There's still no release date for the 2nd run of countries, so if anyone has the right to feel second-class, then it's us.

I feel for you and for everyone else in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore who are still waiting.
Me too..

Taimaru

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK
It feels like we're second-class citizens right now
I feel the opposite and that we're first-class citizens :)

Speaking to friends and seeing some of the comments about iOS4 I am glad we haven't got it yet as it still needs some polishing even if it is a great upgrade.

Rather than rushing out iOS4.x to the iPad without properly testing it, I am sure Apple are working hard (every day) to make sure that when it is released it will be worthwhile.

Don't forget iOS for the iPad and the iPhone/iPod Touch are different branches of of the OS that need to be merged. And they are probably still working on porting the applications they missed with 3.2 (Clock, Stock, etc) and other stuff which are iPad related.

Patience, and enjoy your iPad now as you did on the first day you got it...

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
As some of the others have mentioned, let them work out the bugs & when we get it, it will be sweet. You can still jailbreak it... Very easily with spirit... & download backgrounder to multitask... It works great on my iPad.. I won't update my iPad to 4.x until it's jail broken.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The iPad should be a product that differs from the iPhone and iPod Touch, not a branch or a big brother, it should have different things, like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, this stuff is unique, it makes you want to buy the iPad, like iPhone users have iMovie. If Apple is holding on to release the iOS 4.0 for iPad it must be worth it, lets hope it has new features or at least features adapted for the iPad, lets hope multitasking is more like a Mac multitasking and not like an iPhone fast app switch.

The iPad has a bigger screen, come on, use it Apple, stop bringing the same things that come for iPhone to this big screen, and its kind of stupid to release a big upgrade like iOS 4.0 is and not release it the same date for iPad users to enjoy it, it's not like this is something stupid or small, its something that really was necessary. Multitasking is not a new feature invented by Apple, most mobile devices have this kind of stuff, why not have it for iPad, I just don't understand, and don't get me wrong, I love my iPad and enjoy it very much, it's just this shouldn't be this way.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking... iOS4 features that are iPad only.... like how for multitasking, it wouldn't be a little bar that pops up on the bottom of the screen and you flick through running/open applications, but an Exposé style multitasking UI.... like HTC Sense's Scenes feature where you pinch to zoom on any of your home screens and you get a thumbnail view of all of them. This is going to be interesting.

I would venture to say that this fall is when the iPad and iPhone split on how they run several things. If Apple changes nothing they would have put multi-tasking on the ipad to begin with or at least released it same time as the iphone.

I would image MT will be different on the ipad. No reason to just have the bottom of the screen split and you swap the entire screen when you go from one program to the next. The ipad has enough screen real estate to do split windows like Expose in SL. The ipad has the screen size to make that feasible and that is VERY much worth waiting for.

Apple is just waiting to put MT on the ipad. They are waiting because it will be different. Different in a good way. No other reason to wait whatsoever. If I had a Expose type of MT on the ipad it will make it a full blown computer almost. I already love mine and for what it is, but that kind of upgrade significantly pushes it forward. If it had a USB 3.0 port people would bow down and worship it!:D

I agree with this... in fact, I had this expose type of multitasking in mind prior to reading your post, but it'd be amazing to see this. I know Apple seems to have tried to bring some exclusivity for the iPhone via iMovie and with iWork for iPad... so this trend may continue... Garageband for iPod touch anyone? Haha! :D

rangtang

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Not to frustrate you further, but it will only feel more like that with the inevitable release of "iPad 2" with the potential FaceTime integration, etc. (speculation). This is why I waited off this gen on it, I knew that other features I wanted would be added. Your frustrations are stemming from things not working properly though so I can understand.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
And the problem is what exactly? If they were to release 4.1 now, you would be the first in line complaining about the bugs. Have you not been following the news for the last few weeks. Apple has had other pressing issues than releasing a potentially bug OS release so that people can whine about how buggy it is.

I'm not sure that I follow your thinking. Apple is a huge multiple National that has just delivered two products, in total 6 million items, in just a few months. Both products have had their 'issues' that have prompted calls for recalls, one seriously. Consumers have a right to expect that their hard earnt money goes on products that do what they are supposed to.

My wife has been out of contract on her cell phone for a few months, I am just about out of contract. The longer I am unable to get contract iPhone 4's the more likely I am to go Android, especially if the attitude of Apple is to relax and have a free bumper.

I have been caught in the Apple hype but I am now starting to think that I'd quite like to plan my purchases, not get drip fed rumours and sold (eventually) unfinished products.

Apple need to remember why they are doing well and not treat their customers like idiots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.