Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stotka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Yesterday after my sony staying at char selection screen in DCUO for an hour or two I entered the game and dashed through a little bit of Gotham city and I just heard the 3 beeps and the sony restarted. Confused got up pressed the power button and I got the yellow light of death :(
Its the launch 60gb system so I had it for 5 years and I have a lot of memories with it. I am gonna try and fix it myself because I heard that even if you give it to someone to fix it its gonna die again fast.
On the bright side my brother agreed to give half for a new 320 Gb slim so I ordered one right away. Expect it to arrive saturday or monday. And honestly can't wait. I don't play my ps3 that much but its like I lost a friend :(

Any of you guys got YLOD or RROD? Did you fix it yourself? Share your story!

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Check the hard drive attached in PS3. I have got YLOD due to the loose disk. Hope this can help you.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
That's really a shame dude. I bought a 40GB one used off Ebay in the beginning of 2010, and it was constantly freezing all the time. Right before Black Friday, I ended up selling it to buy a slim since I had heard that it might YLOD. And what do you know, a few months later, the buyer messages me saying it got the YLOD (he knew ahead of time that it was in pretty bad condition).

I've heard different ways of fixing it, but I don't know how much I'd trust myself to do it. Its up to you I guess. I heard that Sony is offering a deal where you can exchange your YLOD 60GB for a refurbished slim for $100. Not sure if that's appealing to you or not, I guess it depends on if you want backwards compatibility that bad or not.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Mine (also a 60 fatty) had ylod a year and a couple of months ago; took it to get infrared fixed (way better than hot air) and mod the fan plus the artic paste and I actually sold it on here last month in working condition. Wanted a smaller form factor PS3 to carry with me when I travel for longer than a month.

Also, Batman Arkham City froze my new PS3 slim (the latest rev of the slim btw that consumes even less power) but a hard reboot woke it up fine and did have a couple of black screens that took their time to load. It's too power intensive and seems the data is all over the blue ray.

If you want to permanently fix your ps3 you would need to take it someplace to get reballed with lead! Also check the latest mod from gilksy on YouTube using a computer case to improve airflow and stuff.

Stotka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Unfortunately. Sony aside from 1 Sony store in my country there is no official shop and they don't offer any kind of fix :( And no refurbished deal or anything. We don't even have a psn store. We have to use a neighbouring country. So what I did was order a new ps3 slim 320 gb and it only cost me 250euros.
Ill keep my fat just as a Trophey until maybe one day we get someone who can officially fix it with some sort of warranty. The slim is good for now isn't as hot as the fat but the blue ray drive is screaming at me. I went to a friends house and he has the 40gb fat with 2 usb and no memory card slots and his has the same scream. So i guess thats the only downside of the cheaper blue ray drives :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.