It happened again! (iPad replacement)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danielxute, Aug 10, 2011.

1. danielxute macrumors member

Last week the apple store replaced a broken iPad first gen I bought for 150. Brand new one for free. Two days ago I bought a shattered white iPad 2 16gb with box and new accessories for 175. Took it to the apple store to try to do the same and the guy told me it had gotten replaced for a shattered screen already and I would have to pay 269.99 this time :eek: So I told him that I bought it used and I would just use it with a broken screen since I dont have the money to repair it.. He told me to hold on and went the back and left me waiting nervously. He comes back with a smile on his face and pats me on the back and says he is replacing it for free :D:D:D he then goes back to the back room and gets my new iPad. :cool: also a really hot girl was talking to me the whole time I was waiting. :cool: I love apple :apple:

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

3. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

The question is...did you get the girl's number?

4. Tritons macrumors 6502

It's nice that Apple did it, but it's not cool that you have did it to Apple twice. :mad:

5. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

You act like it's his fault. Jeez, the guy was even going to be content with his broken iPad...Apple came through for him, you don't have to make the guy feel like he hosed Apple.

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

That's what you think.... With that broken iPad 2, he could have just resold it for $250-300.

7. danielxute thread starter macrumors member

No she was talking to a genius when I was done :(

8. PaulWog Suspended

Way to take advantage of a good thing.

It's people like you who ruin it for everyone. You take and take and Apple will give and give. Then one day when a guy with a genuine problem who genuinely doesn't have enough money comes in, they might just turn him down because they've already handed out as much as they can (resources are not infinitesimal; Apple can't afford to give away free replacements to everyone like that -- no company who offers valuable products could do that).

My recommendation is to be a good person, and not a bad one. Be happy when a good deed is done for you, but don't try to reproduce the scenario multiple times by buying broken goods over and over and getting them replaced with new goods. That's low.

9. danielxute thread starter macrumors member

In the last couple of years my family has purchased 2 of every gen iPhone, 2 iMacs, MacBook, MacBook pro, unibody white MacBook, pretty much every gen iPod classic and nano, and an apple tv. All new with AppleCare. I don't feel too bad ;)

10. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

You know what...I read the original story incorrectly. I actually agree with the people that are calling out this guy.

I just skimmed over his original post and assumed that he innocently shattered his iPad screen. After reading closer, I see that this guy is working the system and screwing over Apple and other people who may potentially have real issues with their iPad that need it to be replaced.

I 100% do not support the actions of the OP...terrible form by this guy...the guess here is that the hot girl wouldn't have been a fan anyway.

11. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Just because you've bought from Apple doesn't give you the right to hose the company. What you are doing is lying to steal. You can paint it anyway you want, but that's exactly what it is.

12. ~Ks383~, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

That would not be the OP's fault, it would be the fault of the person who replaced the second one for not following policy and replacing more than one of his iPads for free (not that I agree what the OP seems to be doing or that what he seems to be doing is entirely ethical).

13. danielxute, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011

danielxute thread starter macrumors member

Haha I don't know why you guys think what I did is so terrible. The first broken iPad I bought I purchased with the intention of paying to get it fixed or if it was too expensive, putting a screen protector on it and using it like that. Went to the apple store and the genius told me every device can get replaced once for free. So mine was replaced. I also purchased the iPad 2 with the same intentions, try to fix or use it broken. I'd rather pay 175 and live with a few cracks than pay 525. But since I know knew about this one time for free thing I thought hey it's worth a try, or maybe I can get a discount to get the screen fixed. But the genius hooked me up with a new one. Not my fault. I guess if I did this to sell these for profit I could see why you guys would be upset, but these will be used by me and my sister.

It would not be his fault either. Pretty sure he ran it by the manager because the computer will only let them waive the $269 once.

14. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Its the fact that most people likely including the people you bought the iPads from wouldn't think to try to get Apple to replace a broken screen that was clearly their fault, yet you buy a knowingly broken iPad and really stretch Apple's generosity by getting them to replace it for free that is getting people's back's up.

I tend to agree with them especially after your sob story about not being able to afford a screen replacement. You have basically scammed the original owner and Apple at the same time.

The first time then fair enough you were lucky, the second time though I'm sure at least somewhere in the back of your mind you were thinking you could pull it off again.

15. norrismantooth macrumors regular

Apple will willingly replace a product in most cases if they know that the product being traded is in serviceable condition, and can be resold, either as new or refurbished on the .com. They have a product that's worth about $50 in parts, and they're making huge margins, so a little "cheap" generosity goes a long way in Apple's favor. And a good experience will keep the customer coming back.

Not saying this is in line with Apple's "corporate philosophy", but it's good for business.

16. Angry-Birds macrumors member

I don't know what everybody is so up-in-arms about. Apple is a very large company with a market cap of almost $350 billion dollars. Replacing damaged products (whether it's a result of defective worksmanship or otherwise) is part of the game for them.

17. danielxute thread starter macrumors member

Obviously the person I bought the iPad 2 from knew about it if she had already gotten it replaced once.

Telling the genius I couldn't afford the 269 and that I would just use it like that (like I intended to do anyways), then grabbing my stuff and getting ready to leave is a sob story? Alrighty. And you're right, I scammed the original owners. I'll give them a quick call and give them their new iPads. Explain how exactly I scammed apple

18. LanEvo macrumors 6502

They just became the largest, surpassing Exxon.

19. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

Apple "came through" for him? Let me get this straight, its cool and ok that this guy bought an item used, went to the store to get it replaced and got a new one for free? Not only that but he did it twice. He was going to be content with using the broken screen you say? Come on. The guy went to the store to try and see if they would replace it again like they did the first time he tried it.

So let me ask you this: if this sap can get a replacement for a used Ipad that he bought with an existing defect...what motivates other people to even think about getting Applecare if this kind of thing happens?

I particularly love this statement even though he said he didn't "have" the money to replace the broken screen:) Lovely.

"In the last couple of years my family has purchased 2 of every gen iPhone, 2 iMacs, MacBook, MacBook pro, unibody white MacBook, pretty much every gen iPod classic and nano, and an apple tv. All new with AppleCare. I don't feel too bad"

Uh huh. Save it for Oprah, bro.

20. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

The blue shirts.

21. Angry-Birds macrumors member

:eek:

Wow! Good for them.

22. danielxute thread starter macrumors member

You're right, I went to the apple store to see if they would replace it, I said that a couple posts above. I also said that if they didn't, I would use it with a cracked screen. What else would I do with it? And I love that statement too, especially the part where I said my family bought all that stuff. :eek: bro, are you the bro I bought the iPad from? Because you seem pretty upset, bro :cool: :apple:

23. sehnsucht77, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

umm, that'd be no and, nice, we're resorting to name calling now. first the usage of a sob story to get free swag and now name calling. i wonder what next is going to come up? i like this thread. i wonder if Apple would buy my sob story involving rescuing Somalian babies while engaging in a firefight with Taliban to rescue a platoon of marines as I was trying to check my email on my Ipad. being that busy, the fray kinda forced me to drop the thing, crack it and, as such, is grounds for me to have it completely replaced even though I "really" bought for next to nothing on Ebay. it'd be an interesting experiment.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

A liar and a thief.

You have betrayed people's trust in order to scam the company and give all consumers a bad name. For those of you who are condoning this behavior because Apple can afford it, you are basically saying scamming people is OK, as long as you don't scam poor people. There's really no difference between what he does to Apple and what unscrupulous people do when they sell broken items on Craigslist, or even break into your home and steal things. After all, you have insurance and can afford the loss. Where do you draw the line and decide that scamming is no longer OK, and the act that was OK yesterday isn't OK today?

I am pretty disgusted by the OP and his justification for bilking Apple out of money. I suppose there are unprincipled people everywhere, though, so I am not surprised. Just saddened to hear someone revel in his dishonesty.

25. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

Aaaaand they're off!

Holier Than Though has taken an early lead, but Johnny High Horse is only a furlong behind! Coming up fast on the outside is Sanctimonious Joe, and Always Morally Right is galloping like his tail's on fire!

Good grief.