It is almost time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomegun, Mar 16, 2008.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I'm thinking it is almost time to make the move to the iPhone and I would like some opinions from those who already have one. I will try to paint a picture of my situation as best I can.

• I'm on Sprint with my wife and we have a family plan with 2100 minutes starting at 7pm.
    • We pay around $160 when all is said and done due to additional text messages.
    • I'm the one who needs more texts, not my wife.
    • I have a Sprint Touch and my wife has a Centro
    • I use my phone primarily as a phone of course, text messages to friends and family, email (yahoo, gmail, sprintpcs and .mac), to keep my appointments on (somewhat important) and an occasional game of solitaire if I'm someplace waiting.
    • I have a MBP and an iMac
    • I have two iPods, a 30GB 5th gen and 4GB nano, which I use in two cards with iPod hookups
    • I currently live in Biloxi MS, but will be moving (back) to Vegas in less than a year
    • I have around 18 months left on my sprint contract, but plan on selling both our phones so the termination fee isn't a deal-breaker
    • I have bluetooth in the same two cars that have the iPod hookups plus a headset so I don't have to have the phone up to my ear.

That is my story pretty much. I'm not opposed to waiting until June - time seems to be flying anyway. Of course 3G is something I would like in the iPhone, but 1) I would probably buy the new one anyway and 2) I currently don't use my phone to get on the internet much - this could change with Safari on the iPhone.
    What do you think? Would I be satisfied with the iPhone or would I regret moving to AT&T for it?

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I've had my iphone for a couple of weeks and it's amazing! I have no buyers remorse whatsoever. Go get one, you'll love it.

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I got rid of Sprint after many years for AT&T and the iPhone.

I have no regrets at all. Just make sure that you are out of your contract.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It looks like you're plan will end up being $162 a month if you stick with the 2100 minutes and have 200 texts for your wife and 1000 for you with your iPhone.

However, since you will now have rollover minutes, it might not be necessary to have early nights (7 instead of 9). If you chose to start nights at 9, it would save you $17, making your bill $145.

If you went for 1400 instead of 2100 because of the rollover, but kept the early nights, it would save you $20, making your bill $143. There's really a whole lot of options there.

I have heard the ATT service is great in Vegas, but I'm not sure about Biloxi. I love the iPhone, and before it, I never used or thought I would need a phone with the Internet.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got the AT&T Family Plan...

two iPhones, one Blackberry, and one Motorola KRZR. We are presently at about $60 a month per person, unlimited family text msg plan ($29.99 a month), start using unlimited minutes at 7pm Mon-Fri, $20 for each iPhone Data Plan, and $30 for the Blackberry Data Plan. We share 1400 minutes, and we have M2M unlimited. Definitely go with the unlimited text msg for only $29.99, and teach your family plan members how to text! Saves on a ton of minutes when they text their friends v. phone calls using your 1400 minutes right off the bat. We also have accrued 6000+ minutes, which is nice to have for those months where you are on vacation and have to go over your 1400 minutes. This is just my example of my Family Plan, you can get different additional features. After being with Sprint for almost ten years, I made the move to Cingular/AT&T, and I don't regret it one bit. Did you ever use your entire 2100 minutes? I had the exact same minutes as you, but never came close to using all of them. AT&T has "rollover" minutes and that was the key incentive for my move. PM if you like, I can share the horror stories with you about Sprint! :eek::cool:Good Luck!

6. TK B$K macrumors 6502

7. specops macrumors regular

there is no doubt in any iphone owners mind that this phone is the most amazing piece of hardware out there atm!

Everybody is different so there is of coarse a small chance your an idiot and won't like it. lol jk

BUT

I think it really depends on if you are willing on spending the money to get the current EDGE iphone and then also buy the 3G iphone (when it comes out).

Or maybe you should just wait untill they release the 3G iphone since u still have 18months on your contract and you don't sound like your dying to get rid of the phone you have now.

Your choice really

8. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

At this point the only thing I'm waiting for is June to see if they come out with a 32Gb iPhone and the 2.0 firmware. I'm not really going to go down that path and speculate on whether a 3G iPhone will be out or not. I was playing with my co-workers iPhone last week and his internet with edge was just as fast as I've every had with EVDO plus it was on Safari with the ability to zoom and pinch.
    I almost got a iPod Touch to tide me over a couple of weeks ago. I'm basically ready to pull the trigger and just waiting to see if we can/will wait until June.

One thing I left out: my wife telecommutes and we have DC/Maryland phone numbers. I have to check the minutes, but if we come close to 2100 it is because she uses her phone for work calls during the day. Also, do you think we would be able to keep our Maryland phone numbers if we switch? I know we could do it if we still lived in Maryland, but I'm wondering if our being in Biloxi would present some complications.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You can keep your numbers...

and have them ported to AT&T. You'll get new SIM cards for your iPhones (I don't think we had SIM cards with Sprint). Your contacts can be switched over via you Mac computer Address Book, so you may want to update your data contacts via your Address Book. :cool:

10. MM07 macrumors 6502a

IIRC, when you are activating your iPhone you have to put in the area code where the number is, then you can put in the billing address where you actually live.