It is not in Google's interests to release a Google Maps iOS app - discuss

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KeepCalmPeople, Sep 20, 2012.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Question - why would Google bail Apple out at this point and release a Google Maps app? After all, you can go to maps.google.com and get 80% of the functionality of a dedicated app.

I just don't see it happening. It is a big black eye for Apple and Google must be tickled pink. It is a major win for Google and I can see Apple losing customers over it.

Last year - Siri beta (meh)
    This year - Apple maps (fail)

Thoughts?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

or they jump in and offer a better experiece now and everyone uses google instead? it would become and 'essential app':) but probably won't be in that category on the app store.

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

If you understood Google's business model, you wouldn't be asking this question. Google uses all their services, including Maps, as another avenue of advertising revenue. The more people who use and rely on their products, the more demand there is for their business. Google didn't create maps and make it free just out of the kindness of their heart. Same goes for GMail, Google Calendar, and every other Google product on the market...including Android!

4. lukin2006 macrumors newbie

considering how long google has been doing maps and Apple just getting into it...I expect that within a year or so Apple maps will be greatly improved. Google will issue a map app...there is advertising revenue to be made...count google in.

5. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Fair point

... but you have to wonder if the advertising revenue from releasing an ad-supported iOS app would offset the ongoing defections to Android due to Apple's maps app...?

6. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Google will offer it, Google will be hurt by no iOS users, and they know that. We all forget that Google is an Advertising company, Android exists so they can have a platform for their products which, you guessed it, they serve up AD's. Google simply can't ignore the number of iPhone users and potential ad revenue it would generate. And to be honest, the disaster that Apple's Maps has become would likely push them to release it sooner rather than later. Get people while they are frustrated on to a Google Maps app, and they are likely to stay on it even after Apple's Maps get better. If iOS wasn't a significant part of the market, Google wouldn't even bother.

Also, with as bad as Apple Maps are (They are bad, they are not horrendous) we here are a vocal minority. Will it keep people from the iPhone, yes, there is likely a few people, but most average people will have no idea what is going on.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I disagree.

1. Google makes most of their mobile revenue from iOS.
    2. The more people that use Apple maps, the better they will get.
    3. The fewer people that use Google maps, the worse they will get.
    4. See #1.

8. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Their advertising revenue in Maps is based on businesses, not end users (you're not paying for the advertising now, are you?). iPhone and iOS in general will continue to be used by millions of people whether or not some decide to switch to Android. Do you think it would be better for Google to have BOTH Android & iOS users or just Android users?

9. lukin2006 macrumors newbie

I also never really used the default map before...but now that apple has turn by turn directions I can see myself using apple maps now:):).

10. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

A year of poor publicity and customer experience is bad enough, but unfortunately the trust that people have for Apple will be tarnished for a lot longer than that I fear.

The poor maps data doesn't just affect the maps app either - the 'Find My iPhone' and 'Find My Friends' apps become unreliable too. Geofencing will perform poorly if the addresses you put in are in the wrong place on the map.

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

You're in the SIGNIFICANT minority here.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Given Google's revenue from Android is zero, yes.

Google created Android because it didn't want Apple to own the market and be able to shut them out (which turned out to be accurate). But it doesn't make any money from it. As long as there's a series of alternatives, Google doesn't actually care very much if people use iOS or Android, because they make money either way through advertising. Indeed, all accounts are that they make more from iOS users than they do from Android users.

13. meder87 macrumors regular

I don't think its necessarily in Google's best interests not to release it, and more of Apple's best interests not to release it. Apple is trying to sever ties from Google and allowing Google Maps back into iOS shows their vulnerabiltiy in being able to make a product great. It would show that Google is better than them at something. If a Google Maps app was coming, it would have been released just like the YouTube app. Google has no interest in releasing it. However, I would find it very interesting if Google updated their web version of Google Maps and made it work really well for iOS users. Apple wouldn't be able to do anything about it except block the link, which I don't think they would ever do.

14. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Not entirely true. Android is also another medium for Google to promote their services and has also allowed them to break into some other markets. This includes music, apps, video, podcasts, etc.

----------

Google 100% has every intention of releasing it and they already said so publicly. Now whether Apple has any intention of approving it is a whole other story.

15. Mal, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you think a large group of people is going to stop using the iPhone or download a separate Google Maps app just because they don't like the built-in maps, you're kinda out of touch. Maybe on these forums, but most consumers will use what comes with the phone, because it's what's on the phone and integrated with Siri (especially when you're talking about turn-by-turn). A Google Maps app will be popular, and I think they will release one, but if you think most people are going to be upset about Apple's maps app, you're not paying attention to the general public at all.

jW

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

17. Andy-V macrumors 6502

They'll put a maps app out. We don't know when but it IS in their interests to release one. They put Chrome, Google Earth, YouTube and more on iOS, I'd be surprised if they don't put maps on it. They'll just make sure android stays 1 step ahead.

18. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Huh? Did you even read the comment I was commenting on? The guy said he never really ever used the default maps app before and I was telling him that he was in the minority in almost never using it. Then you go off on a tangent chirping about me saying people will stop using the iPhone or will download a separate app, or that the general public will be upset about Apple Maps. Not sure what you THOUGHT you read by try again.

19. m00min macrumors 6502

In a related question I've always wondered why Adobe haven't told Apple to shove it and cease development of their apps for OSX. Neither Google or Adobe are required to build their stuff for Apple. Given that I'm surprised Apple is so antagonistic to these companies.

I prefer using Apple computers over Windows or Linux but I'd drop them in a second if Adobe took their toys home.

20. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, saw another comment above that was saying what I thought I was responding to. Mixed up the comments, I suppose. I'll edit the first post.

jW

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I read somewhere that Google makes more money from iOS than from Android.

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

For everyone that has cried the past few years about Google and their dealings with your data, welcome to the Google-free future you've longed for. Enjoy the ride.

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Which ones of those do you think Google has ever made a cent on?

While it's true Android might present other revenue opportunites eventually, Google will have spent an awful lot to generate them. Meanwhile, the Maps App on iOS will have generated significant profits, today.

24. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Because Google has always been about market penetration, not exclusivity.

25. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Google is an ad company. The only thing they care about is to obtain usage data, anyway they can.