It is possible to install Windows using Boot Camp using Image instead of install disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Libertine Lush, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

I'm asking as a new Apple convert using Snow Leopard 10.06.2.

I have an iMac running Snow Lep and a laptop running Windows 7. The laptop did not come with a separate disc of the Windows OS. In the absence of the OS disc, is there any way to install Windows in it's own partition using Boot Camp, such as by copying an image of the laptop onto the iMac?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You will need a separate license of Windows for your Mac.

The license on your laptop is a pre-installed OEM version that is non-transferrable.

You can download an ISO of Windows 7 direct from Microsoft, and install and use that for 30 days (extendable to 120 days) without a key, but ultimately you will need a license.

B

3. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you say downloading an ISO does that mean the $199.99 download option on the Microsoft site? Thanks.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You can use fusions migration function which will p2v you windows laptop so that the new virtual machine is an exact replica of the original.

Cheers,

7. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could you dumb it down for me a bit: what's "fusion" and "p2v"? Thanks, panzer.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

VMWare Fusion let's you run virtual machines under OSX. It is great for the occasional access to Windows apps but not so good with games that want full access to hardware. P2V = Physical to Virtual. We use it all the time at work.

Cheers,

9. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! Had a mind lapse. I have VMWare Fusion. Came free with this Mac, but haven't tried it yet. From what little I know though, don't you still need the Windows OS disc in order to run it in Fusion or Parallels?

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not if you migrate. It pulls the full install from the laptop including any domain access, etc. It runs as if it's the laptop. Of course once it's successfully running on the mac you must manually uninstall any hardware specific programs that came with the laptop (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc tools like fingerprint recognition or hardware monitoring utilities).

Cheers,

11. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. I'll make sure I look into that more closely when I try out Fusion. Thank you.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At work is a key point to remember here. Just a note that if you do a P2V on a non-volume license (retail, OEM) you may run into activation issues when the activation servers detect the same Windows license on two separate machines. Just remember that retail and OEM licenses are only for one machine (though physical and virtual is OK per the license.).

B

13. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does "non-volume" mean? Does that mean a digital purchase?

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Volume licenses don't have activation. These are for large corporate users. Once we migrate the Windows license to Fusion we put the PC in a drawer and don't use it. This only applies to Mac users who don't want to use their company issued PC but still need access to some Windows-based applications.

The main point I was making to you is that you can get Windows working on your Mac w/o installing Windows from scratch. There can be issues like applications that no longer work because the hardware they need doesn't exist. Additionally, activation issues can arise upon starting the VM the first time.

Cheers,

15. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a