It is possible...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, May 28, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

To use my computer to record TV, kind of like a TiVo? I have the HDMI hook up to my TV, is there a way/program that will let me record TV programs to my computer. Season 6 of entourage starts soon and I haven't seen 5 yet (which comes out on DVD after season 6 starts) so I want to record 6 so I can watch them after I get done with season 5.

TIA

**on a side note, how to I make it so I can stay logged in here after closing the browser so I don't have to log in every time I come to the site?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the Elgato 250 and it works very well.

And for the log in, just check the box:
    [​IMG]

And make sure your browser isn't set to clear cookies when you exit.

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

is there anything I can use that is free? I don't plan on doing this all that much I just need it every now and then.

5. tj53 macrumors member

You'll need to buy something in order to be able to receive the signals no matter what. So there aren't any totally free options.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, there might be a free solution, if your computer has a firewire port.

If you download iRecord (or use the free developer tools from Apple - sign up for free and look for the FireWire SDK 26, which will come with prebuilt apps), you can record shows through the firewire port your cable box should have.

However, many of the shows are encrypted. But, depending on your provider, you might be able to record Entourage (although HBO is most likely encrypted). You can't record off of an HDMI port.

7. tj53 macrumors member

Nice catch. From what I've heard though the vast majority of cable boxes have their firewire port disabled to prevent this. Has that changed recently?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Works on my Motorola box but since its a PVR kind of makes the whole thing moot.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think they can legally disable the port, although they can encrypt the traffic.

I had no problem recording pretty much anything when I had Comcast. I switched a year or two ago to Verizon, and I can still record a fair number of HD channels, just not all of them. It's hit or miss, but, generally, if a channel records at all, it records all day long (i.e., they don't tend to encrypt some shows and not others).

It's definitely a hacker's approach, and it's not always pretty, but, when it works, it works pretty darned well. It's definitely worth trying if you have a firewire cable, since that's all you need (well, aside from a Mac and a cable box).
    The big plus is if you want to get the show off the DVR; when it's on the Motorola, you can't (AFAIK) transfer it to anywhere else, which is an issue when it fills up.

10. tj53 macrumors member

That's really neat. If only I still had my Powerbook and/or my uMB had firewire I'd try it out :(.

Hopefully OP doesn't have a uMB (questionable considering the forum).

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's true, although I use the PVR mainly for time shifting so its fairly lean. The eSata and USB ports are dead and the disk is capped max 160GB regardless of actual size so this would be a good way to expand the storage.

12. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhh so close! I do have a firewire port and firewire but live in an apartment complex which means I have no access to a cable box, I just have the cable jack in the wall, unless there is a place in most apartments where a cable box is accessible and I don't know about it...?

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

For cable box read: set top box. Like a Motorola DCT6416.

14. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

You can buy tivo for the computer. I believe it is made by Nero?

15. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

^^ yeah bit again that costs money :( I'm a poor college kid so I try to do everything as cheap as possible haha But as far as you all know the only way is fire wire into a cable box?