It is really slower and hot with Fusion or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Aspen, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Aspen macrumors member

Well I've read the forums for a few hours now trying to figure this out and searched the internet. For the life of me, I can't seem to get a concrete handle on this so I'll ask it here.

If I have a new I-5 13" MBP with 8GB RAM, using Windows 7 with Fusion or Pararells, will it slow the computer down and will the computer run hot?

Also, even if Windows 7 is running with Fusion or Parallels, the gestures and being able to darken the screen (using F1) like in Mac OSX would be the same as Mac OSX since one is actually running Mac not Windows. Is that true?

I had a 15" MBP about 3 years ago with Windows XP and Bootcamp. Ran fast for sure but very very hot. I would like to virtualized this time.

Thank you.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends what you do on it. I run XP under VirtualBox on my 2.53GHz C2D mini and it doesn't really affect things as long as I'm not doing anything intensive.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows only runs hot natively because Apple doesn't know how to write proper drivers for their macbooks. Having said that, VMWare and Parallels only make the computer run as hot as the workload they're doing. I run Windows 8 in VMWare on a macbook air, with an Incase case on. It doesn't usually run too hot, even when I'm compiling.

4. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

Do the normal Mac gestures work if Windows is running on the screen? How about the ability to darken the screen to black?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're running Windows in a VM, the normal OS X gestures work. The ability to darken the screen to off works under OS X or Windows, even if you're running Windows natively.

6. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I should have asked here in the first place...