It is safe to purchase UMBP 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt.shaver, Mar 10, 2009.

1. matt.shaver macrumors newbie

I've been reading a number of threads from varying sources regarding the new unibody MacBook Pro 17. I am about to get one with the 24 inch LED display but now that I'm reading GPU card issues, I'm not sure I want to give up my 15 inch MBP that I purchased in the spring of 2007. However I do need the extra screen real estate and connected to the 24 LED display, my Adobe CS4 apps and Apple pro video apps will enjoy that much needed space.

What is everyone's consensus on this? I'm just curious.

Matt :)

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Bear in mind what draws many people to forums. Problems or problem solving among other things. I have a new uMBP 17" and it's been perfect. I have nothing bad or negative to say about it.
    A reminder to keep an open mind when reading negative posts or threads.

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

If I had to all over again, i'd still purchase it. The only issue I constantly hear about is screen brightness. The issue is not serious, but its there. If you like a super bright screen you won't get it, but it should be bright enough even if not comparable to the last set of 17" MBP's.

4. matt.shaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Will buy AppleCare...

Thanks for the input. Is the screen dimming something Apple has caught? For those who have contacted Apple, what are they doing to alleviate the issue? Having AppleCare on it will keep me safe for three years and I usually keep my hardware for 4 years without issue.

The screen dimming issue might be an issue. However, I thought having LED based displays may have resolved that. A little confused why Apple would release the BMW of laptops with these noticeable issues.

I think I'll wait until next couple weeks to see if Apple addresses these issues.

5. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

They are aware, but haven't done anything yet. Thats why there is so much complaining on this forum LOL. Its good though, maybe someone important will read these threads and our voices will be heard.

6. genmic macrumors regular

That's because Apple produces the Mercedes-Benz of laptops not BMW. Beautiful machines but poor quality control.

7. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I have had ZERO issues with mine. I love it and would buy it again if needed. I cannot find anything bad to say about it. I do not regret my decision.

Keep in mind, some people will never be pleased, with anything. Happiness is only found when complaining. Hence some of the reviews. While some are valid no BS flaws in some machines...Apple is willing to fix the issue without a second thought.

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I have the new 17" and know four other people personally who have the same computer (I have seen three of them for myself) and all our screens are brilliantly illuminated, superb to look at and ideal to work with.
    The first 17" I opened had a slight imperfection in the cosmetic finish of the lid, so it was exchanged immediately. That apart, I've experienced no problems at all in operation, nor heard of any from the other people I mentioned. To the contrary, one and all say it's the finest computer we've ever owned, with the best laptop screen we've seen.

9. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

10. James Cole macrumors 6502

Problem with the 17'' is that you go buy one... and you use it all your life and you will never know you got a bad screen...

The ''bad'' screen in itself its totally fine and bright, even compared to older MBP its much brighter... Problem arises when you happen to have a 15'' MBP Unibody around and you set them side by side... then you see all that you have been missing... the 15'' MBP has a staggering Led backlight whites loooooooooook veeeery cool... (due to a strong backlight or programming) .

I also have a new 3.06ghz Imac... backlight is very good... well the 17'' (faulty) has even brighter screen than my Imac... and still the 15'' has a brighter screen than the 17'' the 15'' is just staggering and thats how the 17'' should be...

Sorry to rain on your parade mate... but you could have a bad one and chances are that you don't even know...

I know Im a picky bastard but I always like to have all my stuff working 100% this includes all my belongings down to my body...

Cheers.

11. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

The above is conclusive evidence that everything Mr. Cole has written on this subject, in several threads, should be discounted as gibberish. I only hope that people who have been looking forward to buying their own 17" aren't put off by this kind of waffle.

12. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Mr. Cole is actually right about the brightness quality. However, this should not stop someone from purchasing the MBP 17" Unibody.

As he stated two posts above, you will never notice your screen ever has an issue unless you compare it side-by-side to last year's same size notebook or 15" unibody MBP.

I have to set this 17" UMBP to full brightness to get last year's equivalent brightness 2 notches from the max. Should this stop you from buying it? NO! You may not even use full brightness like I do. It doesn't even effect me ENOUGH to where I won't buy it. I'd STILL buy it.

But considering this is there flagship notebook, I would want to have equivalent brightness to the inferior notebooks in the line.

13. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Compare the light bleed on the 15" to the 17" then. The 15" screens are plaqued by "theater" lighting at the bottom and hefty amounts of bleed from the sides, particularly the left.
    That they've virtually eradicated any signs of this on the 17" should be the cause of celebration here. Instead, some spout about how the bleed-ridden 15" goes a click higher which, if anything, only serves to accentuate its problems all the more.

14. genmic macrumors regular

Have you tried using a little toothpaste?

15. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

The issue here is screen brightness not light bleed. Its nice they took care of that but it doesn't mean you overlook the main issue at hand being discussed in this thread.

16. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

The original issue of this thread was the GPU.

17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That is really funny to me. I own a Mercedes CLK 55 AMG. It will be five years old later this year. I have NEVER taken it in other than the routine maintenance. And even that was included the first three years.

I don't know that Mercedes vs a MBP is a good example. I definitely disagree with the build quality statement about Mercedes in general and as a personal example of my own experience.

HOWEVER, I do agree that the build quality of MOST of the Macs is not acceptable for what we are paying for.

18. otis123 macrumors 6502a

My 15" does not bleed at all, I have absolutely no issues with my mbp except for a little speaker crackle on the right side.

19. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i recently got my 17" UMBP and havent had any issues with it at all, just waiting for ram prices to drop and to get the new seagate 500gb so i can throw some stuff on here and run some bootcamp.

i compared it to a 3 week old 15" UMBP 2.4ghz and the 17 i can honestly say has such a nicer display than the 15, the colors are much much more rich, and compared it to a 30" acd the 17" i think looks more nicer than that but the acd better than the 15" and dont get me wrong the 15" is stunning but i haven thad issues with either of the 3 displays ive listed.

im happy overall as it recently replaced my macpro, which is a much different transition but overall i think if there are any issues apple will be quick to make it better.

goodluck.

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I'm referring to the issue you were commenting to in regards to Mr. Cole's concerns.

21. genmic macrumors regular

Well we might agree more than you think. I have a Powerbook 12" that has been wonderful, never an issue for the long time I've have had it. I'm also on my 4th replacement Macbook Pro for everything from flickering screens, display anomalies, and a defective superdrive.

I'm sure your Benz is great, and I drool everytime I see an S-class. But you have to admit, their quality has tanked much like Apple's.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1115672,00.html

"Can Mercedes Be a Star Again?"