It is taking forever to contacting update server

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Nanasaki, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Trying to update my iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1. Plug into my Mac Mini and iTunes opens. Pop up remind me iOS 5.1 is available. Then choose update. Then it tries to contacting update server. Half an hour later, still trying to do the same thing. Tries 3 time, 2 hours passed. Nothing.

Unplug from Mac Mini, then went go general, software update. click Download and install. Agree the license agreement. It starting to download process. Stuck on estimating time remaning . 2 minutes later, error message pops up saying:" An error occurred downloading iOS 5.1." Gives me 2 option: close and setting.

Hit setting, brings me back to software update page. Tried 5 times. Nothing.

Now could it be my iPhone's problem? Is there any setting need to be changed? Or it just Apple's server isn't responding anymore.

God, roommate wants to play Japanese Siri, hopefully i can get this thing work before he comes back.

2. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue. I have been trying all day and it won't update. Have you found anything out? It is so aggravating! :mad:

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

4. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

Ugh! Same problem here on my iPad 2 and iPod touches. I have to leave early tomorrow morning as well, and it would be super nice to have even just my iPad updated. Sucks though because I can only do ota updates, because I use my iPad as my computer. Oh well. I was hoping that the servers would get less traffic once it hit 10pm and they would be back up by 11pm, but I guess not.

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I got a link to DL some ispw files which I have no idea how to use, but anyways the fact is that I am having to fart about with update files when Apple with their multi billion dollar server network cannot even put out an update?

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I have tried general/software update, it errors out failing to contact update server over and over and over.....

I am on Wifi when trying and disabled the routers firewall!

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Same issues here. Even the direct download links aren't working for me.

Are there any mirrors out there yet?

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here. I did you a favor.

http://ios.e-lite.org/

It's legit.

download the correct ipsw file and open iTunes with your device connected.

Hold down the option key while clicking on "update"

Navigate to the ipsw file and have at it.

10. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

All that does is link to the Apple servers. Which, as I said in my post, does not work.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I was not able to reach the servers via iTunes, but I was able to OTA with no issues on a couple of devices.

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Got the required ispw files from a DropBox link a friend shared, updated it through those :eek:

Thanks all.

13. k3roro macrumors 6502

Both update through iTunes (MacBook Air) and Direct over the air does not work.

Will try tomorrow morning.

14. eyekyu macrumors member

it appears for whatever reason apple has blocked/firewalled off a bunch of IP addresses, countries or whatever

i have been trying most of the day from my home dsl connection and get the error on my iPhone & iPad. if i try to download the ipsw file from their servers directly it also times out, however if i use my amazon ec2 instance (in another country) it downloads fine

software update itself works fine, so it looks like it's something deliberate apple have done

15. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

Has anyone gotten OTA or iTunes to work with updating? I'm still unsuccessful with it.

16. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I think apple is blocking certain ISP or IP address. I tried all day to update my iPhone and iPad all day yesterdayusing OTA and iTunes. The only way I could even get the update to show up was to switch to 3G but then I couldn't download. At home I use Mediacom. When I got to work I used our COX wireless and my iPhone updated via OTA in a matter of minutes. Anyone else seeing this?

17. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

Well I tried all day yesterday and had no luck. Got to school today and figured id try OTA and it worked!

18. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Utter Joke I've been trying since yesterday OTA saying can not connect try again, then same thing. With iTunes says connecting to server then nothing. iPhone 4S iPod 4G. I give up nearly 24 hours now. Sort it apple

19. Nanasaki thread starter macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Man, it is Thursday 11:08 am (Ontario, Eastern Time). Still not work. This is bad.... Apple seriously need to build more data centre. Imaging Microsoft pushes update to millions users, they never had any difficulty to do that.

20. Pheidon macrumors newbie

iOS 5.1 update blocked by Apple

I think you are right, I live in the Czech Republic and I was getting all the connecting/upgrading issues everyone is talking about...than I connected via PowerVPN to US IP and iTunes are updating my iPhone to iOS 5.1 as I type. :)

21. k3roro macrumors 6502

Hmm, if that's the case then, do you think they will unblock it as the traffic dies down? I find it hard to believe that they're doing this as it is really not fair.

22. Rogzilla macrumors regular

Here's how you fix it:

Go to the DNS portion of your Network settings. Write down your current settings (just incase you want to go back to them). Then change your DNS to:

This is the Google Public DNS settings. I was having issues all day, then I changed my settings and BAM! Downloaded right away. Now, I did change back to my original DNS settings because I don't know how secure Google is, but if you pop over to their DNS, you should be able to get the update.

23. Wise87 macrumors 6502

That was the trick. Thank you so much.

24. andychelt macrumors member

You Sir get a gold star! :D