Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfing@Blacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I am on the fence with some "crucial life decisions" . It is time to retire my early 2007 macbook for some more power in my life. I am looking for a device that is future proof and will be able to handle my needs for creating surf videos, pictorial videos, and similar basic editing done in FCX or the new FCP whenever that is released. Video footage will be captured with a t2i. I also MIGHT do some light gaming (mainly blizzard titles).

Now I've decided on a few possibilities: Prices include Tax and Student Discount / Selling iPod with the B2S deal (value 200).

1) Getting the 2.2 Stock MBP with the 21.5 Ultrasharp Dell Monitor = $2202

2) Getting the 2.0 Stock MBP with the 21.5 Ultrasharp Dell Monitor = $1876

3) Getting the 2.7 iMac and Upgrading it to the i7 = $1517

These are the last 3 configs that I've broken it down too. With the 2.0 macbook pro, will the graphics card hold me down while using video editing software? If I won't see decrease in performance between this and the others I might seriously consider buying this setup.

The main 2 setups I am contemplating are 1 and 3. The delta in price is around 700 dollars and I want to know if I am getting more than just mobility having the MBP. Would it be correct to assume that the MBP has a better resale value than the iMac config (3)? Let me know if you had the same dilemma and your thought process and your final decision. I would like to hear it.

I assume that the 13 inch shouldn't be consider for my needs?

Thanks

darknite38

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Depends if you care about mobility that much. If you don't care about mobility, then get the iMac. It saves you about 700 dollars right off the bat and the resale value will still be high after many years. Remember the 27" screen itself is worth a great deal of money, not to mention the internals. If you feel that you need more portability in your life, go ahead and get the higher end laptop, it too is a great computer with much power that is fine for your needs. The resale value will still be high after many years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.