It is time! 27": duo or i5? Logic

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scooterguitar, Feb 20, 2010.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Basic computing for net, iwork. I will run GB and Logic for simple recordings, not too many tracks or too in-depth. Basic video editing (which Id o on older imacs now and it is fine).
    Do I save the $300 and put it towards Logic or go for the i5?

2. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

It depends, really. I run Logic 8 on a C2D uMPB and am able to get 30 track projects with both audio and soft synths running with no problems whatsoever. That said, the i5 is clearly a superior processor and more "future-proof."

3. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I don't know how much of a real world difference you'll notice, but for all that money you're parting with, the extra $300 can be considered to be, "damn, why didn't I just get the i5?" insurance. The 27" is such a premium desktop, you know someone's going to ask what's inside. Bragging rights.

4. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the insight.
    I always tend to go overboard, but was hoping to take the lesser of two evils this time:D

5. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Don't fool yourself....you knew from the start you were getting the i5 ;)

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Too funny!

Yeah, op, get the i5.

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Dude, answer me this: "How many times over the next five years will I wish I'd bought a slower computer?" Case closed.

8. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, why oh why did I ever stumble onto this forum!:p
    Thanks, ordering this week:)

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Apple doesnt really let you go overboard with specs. Get the best you can afford, even if your only checking your email. You never know when in the future you might need the extra power.

10. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

haha I've been debating between C2D and i5 for a few weeks, recently decided on the i5, and even though there are tons of other thread explaining logically why people should save their money, or splurge and upgrade on these 27's, but none of them were more correct or convincing than this thread.

11. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Ya know, long and hard thought...I'm going with the duo and save $300. I won;t be going intensive on Logic and will likely buy another system in 3-4 years and give this 27" to the kids.
    I am tempted to upgrade to 8gb though, but $180? I've been reading do it yourself cheaper. Then again, not sure if I'll even need it?