Carrier It is worth to upgrade from iPhone 6 Plus to 6s Plus with T-Mo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seasurfer, Nov 1, 2015.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I have a 128 gb iPhone 6s Plus that I bought last year from the Apple Store.

I went to the T-mobile store today and they told me if I trade in my phone and pay $99, I could get the 6s Plus 64GB. Then I have to pay $5 every month and $8 insurance every month on the top of my bill.

Do you think it is worth at all?

I bought the 128GB last year for about $900++.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Honestly? No.

We went from 128GB 6 and 6+ to a 128GB 6s and 6s+ but that was because trading in our old phones was the condition to T-Mobile's promotional offer (we ported over from Sprint).

I don't see much beyond a screen that registers force of touch to say the 6s+ is worth having traded my 6+ in for. Others might argue, but this is just my opinion.

3. Dtrip macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that the 6S has band 12 capabilities which T-Mobile is actively deploying to improve their coverage area, so if you are in a band 12 area, then you could see significant improvements. As far as the promotions go, I think you were misinformed a little. Do a little research and understand your payment options. It looks like you are referencing the Jump On Demand iPhone promos. Yes, in order to get the $5 payment you have to trade in certain flagship phones. But, you never have to add their $8 insurance (although the salesperson will try to upsell it). It's always worth running the numbers on selling your current phone yourself and purchasing/leasing your new phone. In my case, I was able to turn in a cheap, $14 prepaid smartphone to qualify for the $15/month iPhone 6s promotion...which I believe is $20 or so now. The $99 you mentioned referred to the memory upgrade from 16gb to 64gb.

4. freedomisle macrumors regular

This.

There are 3 things which made me upgrade my iPhone 5s to the 6s Plus and not the 6 Plus.

1. 2GB Ram
    2. 7000 Aluminium (the correct spelling)
    3. 3D Touch

For me it was worth the little extra £ for these features. If I already owned an iPhone 6 then these 3 features would not be enough for me to upgrade.

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I would not trade in a 6+ for a 6s+. If you have or can get a cheap smartphone, you can trade that in and pay $19 a month for a 6s+. Your used 6+ will still go for at least $500 on Craigslist/Ebay or whichever 3rd party you use.

6. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I moved up to the 6S Plus from the 6 Plus one week ago today and so far I Would say overall it's a nice upgrade. It's a little faster than my 6 Plus which was no slug by any means. With the 6 S Plus I'm able to keep more tabs open in Safari. The 6 Plus would refresh a lot if I had more than 2 tabs open at a time. While I don't find that the 6S Plus is that much heavier than the 6 Plus, it is nice not having to worry if it will eventually bend in my pocket or from the constant replacement of my cases. I now have the 6S Plus Sim Free version, so I like having the extra bands as well as knowing that I won't have an issue activating it with any of the wireless carriers such as Verizon for example. Peek & Pop is nice, however it isn't something that I couldn't live without. Perhaps as more Applications take advantage of this new feature it will become more useful to me.

I recommend that those who are thinking about getting the newer iPhones, go ahead a do so. Just use it fully during the 14 day trial period and see if it's worth it for you. Because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what other people think of it when it's your money that's paying for it. Good luck with your decision. :)

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Definitely worth the upgrade. The 6 Plus was the worst performing iPhone out of the box that Apple has ever released. If you're tired of constant page reloads, app refreshing when switching between More than two apps, constant lag and stutter, then upgrade.

If these things do not bother you then keep your 6 plus.

8. pixel_junkie macrumors regular

pixel_junkie

Wasn't for me. In fact, I went back to a 6. Yes the 6S is a bit faster overall but then it has worse battery life in my experience which to me is very important. None of the upgrades offer any meaningful advantage in real life usage. If the battery life was at least as good as the 6, I would have kept it.

9. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

The question is:

Is trading my current 128GB iphone 6 plus with t-mobile worth it?

10. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

No

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wouldn't want a 6+ because they're abysmal. I do want a 6S+ because they aren't abysmal. For me it was worth selling my £699 6+ for £440 and then purchasing the 6S+ for £699. So yeah, trading up cost me £259 ($399) but I got out of a POS and into a nice phone again. YMMV.

12. coney718 macrumors regular

No. You paid full price for it from Apple you definitely would take a loss trading it in. Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist you will get much more for it.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are you having any coverage issues? If not, then it's definitely not worth upgrading.

If you ARE having issues, then MAYBE it might be worth it if Band 12 is being deployed in your area.

14. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I think my reception is poor in certain area. I was reading about band 12, it probably will help. I know t-mobile had deployed band 12 in my area.

15. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

How much do you think I should sell my 128gb gold iPhone 6 plus for?

16. HDFan macrumors 6502

At first I didn't think the 6+ to 6s+ upgrade was that significant. But as I use it I think it's more than just a minor upgrade. In many places things happen so fast that they seem almost instantaneous, such as fingerprint recognition. The AT&T & Sim Free phones support wireless band 13, which AT&T is in the process of rolling out. It does 4K video, so in a few years when it has become the standard my movies won't look like VHS movies look now. The extra 4 million pixels allows you to crop a picture a bit more. There are some things with 3D touch that are really convenient. And the list goes on.

I was selling my 6+ 128 MB on ebay and it sold for $648. But then the buyer didn't pay, I filed a complaint, and eBay said that the buyer wasn't registered on eBay. [They have an eBay ID so they are logged in - how could they bid if they weren't registered?!] I think I'm just going to sell it to Amazon to avoid the hassle.

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Point Blank, it's not worth it. I have a 6s+ that I just bought a few days ago (upgrading from a regular 6) and I'm not that impressed at all. I may even return it. Here is what I found:

1. 3D Touch can be useful but it's really a gimmicky feature to me.

2. Live Photos are cute for about 5 minutes. Gimmick. Like Samsung Gimmicky.

3. 2GB of RAM? I didn't see a problem with my iPhone 6 with 1GB.

4. 4K Video? Nice and I have a 5K iMac to enjoy it.

Wait for the 7. It's rumored to have AMOLED which would be a nice jump for the display.

18. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I am lucky to sell my iPhone for more than $600, I guess the t-mobile plan is not worth it than.

But if I can't sell my iPhone for more than $600, isn't the t-mobile plan better? $9 per month for the iPhone 6s plus? and $99 upfront for a 64gb?

Anyone who traded in your iPhone 6s plus, please share your experience?

19. skaterboy macrumors member

If you live in an area with the new band, I think it's 12? Then I highly recommend the switch. I was about to leave T Mobile as the service was so bad, changed to the 6S Plus and the service here is amazing. If you not in an area with the new band then I assume it isn't worth it, if you have any service issues and they offer the new band then go for it.

20. the caveman macrumors 6502

21. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

How about the fact that 6S can actually keep more than 2 safari tabs in memory without crashing and reloading?

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Find out what the buyout for the 6s plus would be at the end of the lease term. Total cost for that phone would be $100 plus $5 X 18 plus whatever the Final buyout is. My guess is you're looking at about $350 down from $950 msrp. Keep in mind you need To fulfill all 18 payments for that buyout so you'll need to be paying $5 monthly (can't decide one year in to buy out or else you won't maximize the value)

Assuming my estimate is correct, is getting $600 for your 6 plus worth it? I would say so. I hated my 6 plus and the 6s plus runs circles around it. I'd certainly take a $500-600 credit for a 6 plus over trying to sell it in craigslist or an online site.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We generally share that same opinions but I couldn't agree less here. We all have different needs but I could big down a 6 plus doing even the most simple of tasks such as Browsing and all switching. My UI animations weren't even smooth. I feel like the 6 plus was the worst phone Apple ever launched and it should have been relegated to 6c plus status with a steep ($200+) discount.

Apple folks always tout how buttery smooth iOS paired with Apple hardware is. The 6 plus may as well be any given android on any given day. Worst iOS experience I've had to date.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…I don't use Safari. I use Dolphin. It's much nicer than Safari and it does well. And it does not do that either, either on my iPhone 5 or the 6+ I traded in.

PS. I hate Safari on every platform it runs on. Using it as an example for anything doesn't fly with me. POS app and it always will be.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I won't deny that I has issues with my 6+. I just don't feel that based on my use, the 6s+ was that big of an improvement.

I am not a heavy app user, video watcher, web browser user or music streamer. If the task requires more concentration then I pull out one of my computers. They have much bigger screens, physical keyboards and are designed for those tasks.

My phone is mainly used for calling, texting, email and light social website usage. My iPhone 5 can still handle all of that very well. We only got our 6 and 6+ because I wanted to force blood out of the rock that is Sprint at the time. Otherwise we'd still be using those phones.

Just my opinion. There has to be something we don't agree on at some point, LOL!