It it possible to remind people to read the FAQ

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by TEG, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I was wondering if it was possible to display a reminder when someone creates a new post reminding them read the FAQ Guide for that Forum, perhaps with a link to the appropriate guide entry. This would certainly help cut down on useless threads like those in the iPhone forum regarding only one speaker.

TEG

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On another site, if the user hasn't posted for awhile, then before posting, the FAQ comes up before they can post.

I would say >75% of new threads have been answered before, so it would be helpful to reduce some duplicate posts.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I'd love to see it happen and it might do a bit of good but I don't think the problem will ever go away. I've reported several posts already today that if people just read the rules and/or faq would not have been posted - +1 posts, posting duplicate threads in several forums...you'll never stop people from being lazy and impatient....oh yeah!

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

While I agree with Duffman that it won't prevent everyone from completely ignoring the FAQ and posting anyway, it would be nice to have, if only to eliminate those posters that simply post "do a search" in reply. Doesn't make us come off as too friendly. :rolleyes:

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...while I do agree somewhat that it does not come off as overly friendly, and as one that *does* instruct people to search, I think that if you just answer instead of telling them to search, or even give an answer as well as tell them to search then it does not help the problem - they're not likely to search if someone just answers again anyway....sometimes some tough love is best - no pain, no gain....oh yeah!