It just went black and died, 21.5 Intel iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tim in Phoenix, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Tim in Phoenix macrumors member

Guys

My machine ran most of twelve hours yesterday, it is 78^F ambient in here, the screen went black and pffffft, nothing. Power button, nothing. Had to remove power cord, waited a minute, then she came back up. The top of the cabinet was pretty warm, a thermal shutdown maybe?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That is very likely the cause.

3. Tim in Phoenix thread starter macrumors member

Guys!

I had another black screen shutdown yesterday, it is 79^F ambient here, I do not like it cold like some folks here in Phoenix. I was not that surprised, and I recovered from the last shutdown like nothing happened.

Then things got ugly this morning. I was seeing too many beach balls with Safari so I went in and used procedures provided by Applecare to clear the hidden caches. That seemed to go well until I went to print a Word document, and the message said "Word Installation not complete" or something. Hmmm, it worked yesterday. I went to print an e.mail, and the printer driver had disappeared. Norton Antivirus disappeared, my Apple-installed Widgets were gone, and I could not adjust the blue lower in Displays, Color Temps like I had before. I do have backup by Time Machine or I would be rather more concerned.

The tech at Best Buy, where the iMac was bought in February, theorized that the hard drive might have issues. Safari does still work, I have all of my bookmarks it appears, and e.mail still works. Any ideas on this? Best Buy wants to ship my iMac to Apple in Kentucky for a look.

4. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I'm in Glendale AZ with my thermostat set to 80. Worked on my new 2011 iMac for about 10 hours yesterday and about 12 hours straight today.

No sudden shutdowns or issues for me.

My usage included using FireFox, Safari, email, PhotoShop, DreamWeaver, and some StarCraft II at max settings.

All good in my world. Hope your machine gets sorted out soon.

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

give apple care a call they sort it out for you as its not normal at those temps to shut down , there is something seriously wrong with your iMac , as even if the temp would go to high ,first the internal fans should kick in big time to cool it down and only if that fails the last resort is a emergency shut down by the iMac himself

6. Tim in Phoenix thread starter macrumors member

Guys

The fans never go audible. I lost some functions Thursday; Word indicates it did not install right, half of my Widgets disappeared, cannot set color temp under Displays, and, most interesting, cannot select Destination under Disk, Restore.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Send it back. It's broken, no amount of posting here is going to help.