It made it longer than I thought it would...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by overlyunderme, Dec 30, 2011.

1. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

Bought my wife a MacBook Air for Christmas and gave it to her on Wednesday. As of this morning, it was officially knocked of the dining room table by our 3 year old daughter. I figured it would happen the next day, but looks like we made it a day and half!

MBA is fine, it was closed, power cord did not release from the MBA as the MBA is so light, it doesn't trip the safety. Still upset with the daughter, but more upset with my wife as she placed it close to the edge of the table, and more upset with myself for seeing that this morning and not moving it even though I saw the potential for disaster.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't get too angry; your daughter is only 3, and your wife can't see the future. Evidently you can, so feel free to beat yourself up over it.

:D

3. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I cringe when I read these stories. Whether it's an MBA, iPad, or an iPhone, there's always someone's child causing a fall or damage, or the owner spilling a drink on it, or the house pet runs across it and scratches it, etc.

I understand that **** happens, but it really comes down to the owner being negligent. Maybe it's just me, but I am very alert at all times, ensuring I maintain my pricey Apple products far from harm's way. I don't let children play with them, I never place beverages nearby, I don't leave them on the edge of anything, and I make sure my dog has absolutely no access. I'm just too conscious of the hard work it takes to save up and go purchase anything at the Apple store. That'd be like me dropping an infant on his head and nonchalantly blaming it on gravity.

Ok, I'm done ranting. :) I'm glad to hear your wife's MBA suffered no damage and hopefully this will serve as a lesson.

4. Robyr macrumors regular

So you have never accidentally broken anything in your life? I don't care how careful you are, **** happens.

5. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Sounds like your wife just got a lesson about how important it is to store her notebook away safely when she's not using it. I'm glad to hear that her lesson turned out to not be a costly one.

I have to admit that I'm not quite used to having a system that's so delicate, the spill thing worries me most so I just won't use my Air in the kitchen or anywhere close to liquids.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

7. Caliber26, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Of course, I've broken things in my life but never a $1000+ computer, or dropped my iPhone, or let my dog scratch my iPad, or any of the horror stories that come up on these forums on a daily basis.

I know a laptop is not the equivalent to a newborn child, but I protect my investments just as much. Just like I would never place a week-old newborn on the edge of a table and walk away, I wouldn't do the same to my MacBook Air or iPad. I don't have $1,400 laying around to go and buy a new MBA if I'm clumsy and spill milk all over it. There's just that level of awareness that wouldn't allow me to do something like that. Maybe some people have the cash to burn like that, but not I.

8. LordVic macrumors 601

I k now accidents happen. I have a 4 year old niece and have seen some of the havok she causes.

But I also remember two things whenever sh's around. First and fore most. Safety for her. Second is safety for property.

I know it's easy to be forgetfull on some things. But, there are times where you need to be mindfull and take an active role in the safety.

Leaving a computer, with a powerchord plugged in (even a magsafe) hanging from a counter / table in a heavily traversed room for the child should always be a NO NO. Just like you wouldn't leave a pot on the stove with the handle sticking out, why would you leave "relatively" heavy, electornic device with it's cable in reach?

(I'm not saying bad parenting at all, though i'm sure people will read into this). These are just things that I don't think most people realise they need to watch for.

Wall mounting a TV for example might not be what you want aesthetically. but when your little 4 year old decides that Dora wants a high 5 and runs at the tv palms spread, that LCD tv isn't going to resist the weight, it's going to tople, and hopefully not onto the kid.

cables for all devices need to be tied up and out of reach. children LOVE grabbing things, especially power plugs.

sorry for the rant, but it always baffles me when people don't put these concerns before their need for access to information.

9. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Hey, applecare suffices for the rest of us:D