It makes everyone angry, but its brilliant business...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it... To get an iPhone on release day, we have to pay 599 or 699 for a 32gb iPhone 3Gs. This will create apprehension with current 3G owners and cause them to wait an extra month to get their new phone (if they choose). This is designed to get NEW customers into the store on launch day that do not wish to fight the lines. Why do you think Apple didnt just release the phone on July 11th again this year? It would have been in their best interests to do so, but it appears AT&T has them by the nuts.

New customers = more revenue
    You upgrading = the same revenue they have been getting plus a few bucks from activation

Yes we all hate it, but AT&T is a business. They want new customers now, not you the current iPhone 3G owner that will not be leaving AT&T because of this. You will whine and complain but nothing will change (trust me I am angry too).

2. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

hahahahaha you beat me to the post.....you have to admit.....genius.......

3. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

I have a different take. Yes, they are getting a few bucks from activation, but if they make you extend your contract they are getting a minimum of 12 more months of monthly fees(Assuming you are a year into a 2 year contract and they make you sign a 2 year deal) and keeping you until 2011 at a minimum. Now AT&T might have pissed off current 3G owners, who guess what? Have contracts expiring in 2010 same year Verizon is rumored to be getting iPhone.....

Just a thought

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Just a thought here too. You wont be leaving AT&T at any point between now and whenever they lose the iPhone exclusivity. Therefore, it doesnt matter if they sign a new 2 year agreement for you. You arent going anywhere.

Thats how they feel, and it probably works out pretty well mathematically.

5. The General macrumors 601

I stopped reading right here. It's $399 and $499.

Sell your 3G and buy a 3GS and the cost will be ~$100. It's not as big of a deal as everyone is making.

6. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

You stopped reading right there because you are completely ignorant to the facts. You have to buy it on your 1 year anniversary to get THOSE prices. If you buy on June 19th, you pay FULL price - 599 and 699. July 11th will be the cheaper prices.

7. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

oh no, one extra month without what half of the people on this forum are calling "marginal upgrades"!!! How will you ever survive?

8. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

depends who you are honestly

everyone is getting quote different prices...

im getting the 499 too...but i just got my iphone a couple months ago..

9. The General macrumors 601

I already pre-ordered mine for $499. I got my iPhone 3G in October.

10. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

You are correct, I am not going any place for a year. If they allowed me the get a 3GS now they would be locking me up for 2 years(1 year left on my current contract and an additional year)

11. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Im getting 699 for the 32 gb, and now the page is getting errors and Apple says come back later. Possible they messed up the pricing and thats what they are fixing.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I love it! I can get a 32GB iPhone 3GS for $299 on release day. Your mistake is you assumed everyone has a 3G.

13. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

You know whats even more hilarious? You obviously didnt read my initial post (you know im the thread starter) where I clearly say apprehension with 3G owners.

Thats ok though, dont really expect you to verify your nifty comments :)

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

My wife and I joined AT&T and bought the iPhone 3G last August, and we were eligible for the reduced price of $499 for the 32GBs today. Just preordered two.

We definitely will eBay our existing ones. I don't know how much to expect to get for them given the reduced price of a new 3G 8GB, but even a few hundred for both will definitely take the bite out of this purchase.

Unfortunately I can't unlock them because I stupidly upgraded the baseband, but maybe Yellowsnow will get a nice update in time. But at least I can restore them clean and put OS 3 on them. I might also pop the screen on mine and clean off the dust underneath. I'm technically inclined so I should be able to pull it off.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I did read your initial post. Maybe you should've said "all us 3G owners hate it" instead of "we all hate it".

That's ok though, don't really expect you to be overly specific with your complaints. :)

16. dagomike macrumors 65816

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

No, you don't. I can preorder a 32G 3GS right now from Apple for $499. Period.