Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
Yup, I see it too frequently. No fraud is off-limits in China. Folk even do it with beer.

1632657814212.png

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
And this is when people get frauded online for a “sealed” iPhone ?. Always best to buy directly from Apple or a known reseller

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I worked for a computer store in the mid-80s, and we had a shrink wrap machine. Software was technically not returnable in those days, but sometimes we had to open something for testing or to show a customer how it worked only to have them not buy it. Re-wrap it, put a new label on it and it was "new" again.

When I buy from Apple, I trust it's as new as it's going to get, and that they'll stand behind it if there are any issues :)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
There’s no way that Apple themselves will repackage a returned product and to be resold as new to a customer. apple wont allow that and against their policy. Im sure blackmarkets will do that.

pmac99

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
Toronto, ON, CA
I've thought about it since the announcement. No reason Apple themselves wouldn't repackage returned iPhones (within 15 day period) and sell them as new

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
What do you think Apple does with returns of a newly launched product (13 in this case) ? Do you see any 13 refurbished on sale? Do you believe they won't make every effort to liquidate their inventory?
It's against the law.
Just because you have a thought, doesn't make it right! Besides, I don't have to prove you're wrong. You have to prove you're right.
Do you have an agenda?

Reactions: pmac99

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I would imagine a fair number of returned almost new phones etc are checked and then sent to stores for AppleCare replacements. You don’t think they swap your damaged phone for brand new unsold do you?

Last edited:
Reactions: uecker87 and pmac99

pmac99

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
Toronto, ON, CA
I would imagine a fair number of retuned almost new phones etc are checked and then sent to stores for AppleCare replacements. You don’t think they swap your damaged phone for brand new unsold do you?
That makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, all returns aren't repackaged to be re-sold as new. That's against Apple's Policy. When you return an item that is opened, they do mark it as "Open" instead of "Closed" they then ship those back to their warehouse and repurpose them and turn those into replacement units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.