It Pays to be Paranoid

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fabienne, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I have been doing a lot of reading about jailbreaking and unlocking the 3GS iPhone, and I think I am at a slightly confused phase of my learning curve. The phone I am looking at is a 3.1.2 firmware (so far so good), and let's say that I do jailbreak it and unlock it, is there any danger of iTunes upgrading me to 3.1.3 when I plug it in to sync, or changing my baseband and thus ruining all my hard work? Is it going to try to get me to upgrade if I plug in the phone and iTunes detects that I am running 3.1.2? There are times when, as we all do, you are tired from the day and just press "OK" to make the nag screen go away. If there are any other pitfalls, please tell me about them.

So far I have gotten the jailbreak matrix and it looks like I will be using blackra1n redsn0w for the deed. It doesn't look like a very complex thing, but I do want to be sure I asked the right questions before I start. I have not seen anyone warning about unintentional upgrades ruining the jailbreak, but there might be, so I thought I would ask. I am using Windows and Firefox. Thanks.

2. eshroom macrumors 6502

iTunes will ask you to update to 3.1.3, just tick the box saying don't ask me again and then click no. It won't ask you again. But beware, maybe it will offer to update with 3.1.4 after you've had a long day's work.

3. himni macrumors regular

I just clicked no and don't ask again. It hasn't asked me since then.

4. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

first off you didn't mention if this an untethered or tethered JB. There are plenty of threads to determine how to do this.

Once you have figured that out. I would recommend redsn0w 0.9.2. It's not as straightforward but much more stable than blackra1n IMO.

As for accidently upgrading. Honestly you would have tk be quite the buffoon, on the off chance, make sure you're really awake and when the dialog pops up, click never show this again and click close or cancel to close the window. That should limit your possibilities.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

In other words, "Fool" proof!

6. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Lol. Apparently not. I see new threads everyday about accidently upgrading. You have to accept, download and install the new firmware. If you see more than the original window, that should be a clue.

7. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

This is why I say,"It pays to be paranoid!" I just now saw someone* who had accidentally upgraded, eeeeeeK. So, you are wise to remind us all of the no and check "Don't ask me again" box. I had forgotten that was there.

The jailbreak? Well, I can't tell you yet. I was bidding on a 3GS as I was writing to you guys, and I was so sure I was going to win it BUT (it pays to be paranoid) I didn't. BUT now I am bidding on a phone which is already jailbroken BUT I don't know what kind of JB it is yet and I am asking the seller.

So, it sounds like if I get the jailbroken 3GS, then I would only have to unlock and I would have what I wanted, as long as I don't upgrade in my sleep, or under duress, or drunk**, or something. I am thinking that it would be an excellent idea to backup my SHSH if and when I get my new 3GS, just in case.

*Lord, now there are two of them.
    **UWD is very very bad.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

to be honest, if you "accidentally" upgrade your firmware, you really shouldn't be jailbreaking anyways. If you can't figure out to hit "NO" when iTunes asks you if you would like to download and install firmware 3.1.3 there is little to no hope for you anyways! Plus I'm pretty sure you have to click through at least 2 or 3 screens to download and install the firmware onto your phone, so even if you "accidentally" click "yes" you still won't be upgrading your firmware without further "yes's."

I laugh at anyone who "accidentally" upgraded. NO, you didn't do it by accident, you went ahead and upgraded the firmware, you just failed to realize that you are not supposed to upgrade!

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

That's a little harsh, no? I've never accidentally upgraded, but I have done equally stupid things like hit "No" when Word asks me whether a want to save a document. Sometimes you **** up. It happens.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

True, but closing out a word doc and not saving it is instantaneous. Allowing iTunes to download and install (about 10-15 minutes) a firmware onto your phone without disconnecting it from the computer is completely stupid.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

but in your case, yes you might accidentally click "no" one time and the doc closes. When you are asked to install an update iTunes asks you if you want to install it, you have to click "yes" or "confirm" that you want to do it several times. I'm just saying unless you are not reading what the dialog boxes say and clicking yes there is no way you wouldn't know you are downloading an update. Then, iTunes installs the update, which will take several minutes, all during which time you can cancel, unplug your iphone, hell, turn off your damn computer to stop it from upgrading.

I guess i just don't see how you can "accidentally" miss something numerous times over a ~10 min+ process unless you don't know how to read. The people that say they accidentally upgraded really just didn't realize they were not supposed to do so and now want someone to help them get their phone back to working. Next time just pay attention, read, and don't update until you are sure it's safe to do so or you may be left phoneless!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    I don't know how that accidentally happens all the time either:)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    It takes a while to download a 400mb file also.
    Some tend to blame it on iTunes and that it automaticly updated it for them while they were syncing stuff:rolleyes:

14. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Just open iTunes, go to preferences, and disable the 'check for update'. I have not received a single notification even after 3.1.3 was released. Solves the problem of not 'accidentally' updating the phone, or updating iTunes (9.1 breaks blackra1n).