iPad mini It seems possible: Very good news regarding iPad Mini 2 (the next?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mortenandersen, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

First of all: All credits to cultofmac.com for bringing this article to their website:

http://www.cultofmac.com/219195/wha...-new-apple-tv-means-for-the-retina-ipad-mini/

This is very good news to all of us who want a iPad Mini just as slim, light, and having the same battery life and form factor as the present iPad Mini, and IN ADDITION, also having a retina screen.

Now we can possible (or hopefully) get the best of the "two worlds"!

For many of us without "inside" technical knowledge, this seemed to be impossible or at least very unlikely to happen.

But with the information from the article in cultofmac referred to above, this seems to be a fair possibility, perhaps rather sooner than later...

For more details, read the article referred to above.

2. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Very interesting! I wonder if this means, though, that the iPad mini with retina is still far off.

It seems like they're just starting to test the waters with this chip.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

For some reason Cult of Mac does not work on my iPad. Bizarre!

4. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

When I read the earlier story about the "new" Apple TV, I thought the same thing, that they are testing the fabrication of the 28nm chips. Not a big leap to see that other devices will incorporate this. I really hope to see the IGZO display come to the iPad line, but I don't know if no news is good news or if building them is just not working out. It's definitely a game changer if they can produce the displays in quantity to meet demand. Couple this story with Samsungs investment in Sharp and it starts to get very intriguing.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How long did you wait for the page to load? It sometimes spins the wheel for quite a while before loading. Just sent feedback suggesting they let people default to the desktop interface. In case you want to drop them a note about your issue: feedback@cultofmac.com

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Thanks a million! I ll send feedback too.

7. 725032 Guest

About time they sorted a retina version out... The current model is just junk wasting peoples time.

8. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you don't have one. The current mini is NOT junk. It could be better (in this case retina), but that goes for every iPad model.

9. 725032 Guest

I bought one a few weeks after launch. I was so unhappy with the screen i gave it to my cleaner for her son.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

While the screen could be better, it is better than the iPad and iPad 2. I have had no problems with the screen and the same goes for most people.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I feel the same way. But rather than returning it for a refund, I just gave it to my butler's son cuz money ain't a thang.

12. rovex macrumors 65816

Hugely dissapointed if the cpu remains unchanged. The mini needs an A6 with 1GB of ram,

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I wouldn't complain about an upgraded processor, but why does it "Need" an A6? My mini seems very snappy.

I do believe the A6 is better for battery life, which I think would be great and a faster processor could help future proof the device, but not sure why it's a need rather than a want.

14. 725032 Guest

Please dont patronise me.

Its an open forum for everyone to give their opinion. If i decide to give something away then thats my business and nothing to do with anyone else.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

This is a theory not fact, from a guy that is a blogger not an engineer. So John Browlee claiming anything about tech specs should be taken with a UK sized chuck of salt.

16. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Couldn't have said it better myself.

17. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

The CPU is a tiny fraction of the battery use so while a smaller A5 is good news, the mini is already using a die shrunk version of the original A5 that went into the iPad2 when it appeared. The A5X in the iPad 3 put out a lot of heat due to the extra GPUs for retina and a retina iPad mini will require a smaller A5X or A6X but the major battery drain is the display. The retina mini will require new technology for the battery and display to become generally available regardless of the CPU because the display is by far the biggest power hog. Tweaks to CPUs are nice and all, but the general availability of high resolution, low power displays and GPUs, plus thinner higher capacity batteries are what will herald the arrival of the retina mini.

18. has.marvel macrumors member

Well, it appears the first two assumptions in the Cult of Mac article are wrong, it is a 32nm chip and it is made by Samsung. Kind of makes you discount any other thoughts in the article.

19. rovex macrumors 65816

Well because i need one for uni and knowing how tight a student I am would like it to last me 2 years at the very least. I expect the next (major) revision of iOS to be quite heavy on the memory, and think 512mb will not be enough.

20. 725032 Guest

Thank you

21. mortenandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

Hope not the theoretical/technical stuff in the Cult of Mac article is wrong...

I surely hope that it will prove to be at least some basic truth in the article that I referred to in the opening post. If not, the I am afraid that the present iPad Mini will stay with us for quite a long time.

Supposing, however, that there is some basic valid points in the referred article and technological development, still the very important question remains: WHEN will it lead to a retina iPad Mini in the market? Late spring, summer, or fall 2013? Or even later?

22. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

If that's the case wait it out and see what is to come. As I can read from your post that there's a sense of reluctance on purchasing the iPad Mini at the moment.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Agreed

I don't read a lot on it, but the screen is better than my mom's iPad 2. I will eventually upgrade if the Mini is the same weight and has the same battery life along with retina. Right now, this works wonderfully for me.

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Just so you know I wasn't trying to disagree with you, I was looking for a reason to agree know if there was a legit reason for "need".

I imagine that's possible, though there are still people who are rocking the first iPad I think mostly without issues.

RAM I can agree with more than processor speed in an iOS device.

25. bluebayou macrumors newbie

looks like i made a wise decision in waiting for the next ipad mini model XD
    all my friends got theirs for christmas, bwahaha