It takes 'Few Weeks'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

They already know the calculation method that AT&T uses. They already know where in their software Apple uses their calculation methods for the Bars. If it takes a few weeks for them utilise that calculation then its pretty much a guarantee their Press Release is just a smoke screen to give them enough time to resolve the CORE issue, reception.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Not necessarily. Apple has to male sure that this works on all the supported phones, test for new bugs that the software might have introduced, and make sure that other components are not affected(battery live) by this update. They also have to put it on their servers and make sure that they won't crash due to demand.

3. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

wouldnt you think if they released a press statement on a matter that it is urgent enough to move on THAT first and then say the rest of the fixes are coming in the next few weeks? and furthermore its a calculation to DISPLAY the number of bars, its not going to affect the battery, its NOT going to affect the reception. its just what we SEE on our iPhones. that is it.

4. garp macrumors member

Clearly you are right. We need Apple to slap together a quick fix to an operating system used by millions of people. That would be much better than taking their time and actually testing prior to release.

Do you do a lot of work in Software? Do you have any idea what is involved?

5. levpa05 macrumors member

It's all BS

We complained about our reception, they,apple, replaced the iPhones with new ones. We continued to have dropped calls and bad reception on those that didn't drop. We now have spent the $150 dollars to purchase AT&T micro cell to boost the signal in our house. We didn't need this for the 3GS. Now with the booster, we are still getting dropped calls from the garage which is one room over and down from the microcell. Lastly, we are in the 3G area for AT&T, we did not have dropped calls from anywhere in the house on the 3GS. This is Not an issue the display of strength, it's an issue with the iPhones signal reception.

6. xmtgx macrumors regular

lol fail, have you ever even dabbled in coding of any sort before? It seems to me your just talking out your ass.

7. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I do work in software which is why I am stating it. Clearly you don't. For many user's the reception issue is a 'show stopper'. In software you fix THAT first before you move onto other bugs. And further the reception fix Apple talked about is not even a reception fix, it is a display issue to calculate the numbers of bars shown in reference to the signal emittance. It is like a placebo affect where you will know that where you get 5 bars and STILL the reception drops, the calculation will fix that and show you actually that 1 bar instead of 5

8. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

I am sure you are not a coder because you clearly do not know what I am referring to. Have you even coded anything?

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Obviously Apple's programmers don't share your approach to software engineering. You should call them up and tell them how it's done. Surely you have more experience with projects of this scale than they do.

10. iphoneZ macrumors regular

good idea but sadly you have the wrong angle on it. Apple is just making it take "a few weeks" to make it look like they are actually doing something, when in reality as you point out, this is a cosmetic fix that could be done overnight and probably takes about 5 lines of code.

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

unfortunately he's probably right

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It doesn't matter if you've ever coded anything before or not, attitudes like this show a lack of understanding of basic business operation. Just because you know how to fix something doesn't mean the fix is going to happen quickly. There are processes in place that have to be followed. They help to insure the integrity and quality of the fix that comes through. It protects you and the company. Just sit back and relax, these things can only happen so fast.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The problem is that releases for public consumption DO NOT work that way.

At least in the company I work for, even for a small product, we usually need about a week from last build before we can sign off on the build to release to the web. Our big product doesn't take any more or less time. It's the process of making sure nothing broke by running the full battery of tests.

When you make a change and decide to release it, you better make darn sure that there aren't subtle side-effects. Something like this probably doesn't have any, but you've got managers who want a level of certainty that the build still meets the same criteria as any other public release.

When you see releases for bugs within a couple days of a product release, they were likely working on the bugs up to about 2-3 weeks before release, but they missed the release build. Only when there are earth-shattering consequences of not doing something within a couple days (i.e. updates bricking devices) will they force engineers to work overnight and weekends in order to get the fix out the door and shorten the testing cycles.

14. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

They're trying to stall out the 30-day return policy for as long as possible.

15. xmtgx macrumors regular

Yea I have, thats why I'm dumbfounded when you think such a "simple" change could not and would not ever happen to break something else.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Hah, if I got a dollar each time one of my co-workers checked something in with a bug that they should have caught, or didn't catch because there was some absurdly subtle interaction going on somewhere else... I wouldn't even have to be paid for my job with a salary, the dollars from these bugs would be enough to keep me living somewhat comfortably. :p

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why would anyone be upset that they are going to take their time to fix the issue the right way?? If there are bigger going ons behind the scenes of this fix (which i believe they are) shouldn't we be happy that they are actually working on it rather than just releasing a cosmetic fix?

18. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Sure, the fix they've outlined is fairly simple to make. It's also costly in terms of bandwidth, support and testing resources, and their collective customers' time to download and install. The end result doesn't change reception one iota, so it's hard to think of it as something they have to rush while pushing everything else aside. In reality there are doubtless dozens of small fixes that will be included in 4.01 and they're all going through the release process together.

19. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Earlier in the day.
    Maybe 12:00-1:00PM central. The title was similar, lots of good discussion then too.

Anyway, my thoughts (condensed version):

Apple's iOS 4.0 has bugs, as all "whatever dot zero" software does. They're most likely going to try to roll lots of bug fixes together into one update, as most iPhone owners are tech users, not tech geeks/experts, and updating iPhone OS is a bit of a PITA.

Kill lots of bird with one stone.

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You don't know for sure though if a simple recalculation like that could lead to more errors. That's why it's important to have thorough testing before every mass update. They wouldn't want another issue like this.

21. n00basaur macrumors regular

I think it'll release at the same time as the white iphone or a bit before.

22. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Well, the other side to this is that the point update was already being worked on before the phone released. Unless it is "earth-shattering", you don't do one-off work in the middle of that.

There's the 2 week gap between GM and official availability where devs can be working on bugs. There's even overlap as you are pushing for that GM where not all bugs will get taken for the coming release, and so you fix them anyways, but in a different branch. That branch then becomes part of the point update.

23. diabolic macrumors 68000

Not always. If the show stopper only effects a relatively small percentage (not most) of the users you can take some time. Taking the proper time to test a fix is far better than rushing something out that causes new unforseen problems. If it was affecting most of the people out there and keeping people from making calls then they might rush it out as a critical fix. It's not.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

You don't know how iOS4 works and interacts with the signal aspect of the phone. I'm not praising Apple - or their smokescreen fix to a problem that isn't the "real" problem. But it's possible that it's not just a visual fix but more of an OS fix because radio strength MIGHT determine how some aspects of the phone functions (ie when to boost signal, etc).

They can thoroughly test this "fix." I'm more interested in seeing the aftermath after it's released of people who "buy" the fix vs the vocal (albeit probably minority) who again clamor to state that Apple's fix has nothing to do with the actual reception issue most were complaining about.

25. hariustrk macrumors member

The real question is have you ever worked in a big company before where PR, Product and engineering generally do not talk to each other?