It takes forever to charge!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMonarch, Oct 20, 2008.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

So for the most part, I'm pretty happy with my new MPB [2.53], except for charging times. When I first turned on my MBP it was at about 68% battery, and it took quite a long time for it to get to 100%. At first I thought to myself "Its probably because I haven't calibrated the battery, I should do that now".

So right now, I've been charging from 0%. Its been since 7:00pm, and it is now 11pm and its still charging, right now its at 95% with 50 min still remaining. Thats nearly a 5 hour charge :mad:.I've only been browsing the web, listening to iTunes [total CPU usage 8-12%], and my brightness on one bar.

My previous PowerBook had bigger [58 watt-hour] battery, and a 65 watt charger, yet charged in about 2 hours.

BTW, I'm happy with the battery life, I've been getting about 4 hours [give or take], its just the charge times that are frustrating.

2. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I dont have my new MBP yet but I know with my MBA it took almost 9 hrs to charge fully for the first few cycles but then it "broke in" and would charge in 4 hrs. It might be the same with these new notebooks. I get mine (hopefully) tomorrow so I will test and post back.

3. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat as you (except I have the 2.4 stock new MBP).

My battery is at 97%, and it seems perfectly content there. It says "Battery Charged" and appears to be not charging any further.

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You guys must be new to Apple notebooks. They always stop charging between 95-99%. Rarely will they go to 100% They are designed to be that way.