It this worth my Time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

For $500cnd

Powerbook G4 Titinium 15.2 867mhz 1gb ram, combodrive, 80gb
    +new battery

It has 10.3 on it now, i Plan on putting tiger on it? how well will tiger run?

will leopard run? how well?

iwork 08?

office 04 or office 08 will work better?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Save up some more and get a macbook.....unless you really want it. If you put leopard on that it might chug.

Bless

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I just -- as in, yesterday -- put Leopard and Office '08 on a friend's PowerBook G4 1GHz, and they both run fine. Office takes a little longer to load than '04, but Leopard (as with my iMac G5) actually seems more responsive than Tiger.

I'd see if you can knock the price down just a little bit more, but as long as the laptop is in good cosmetic condition, it sounds like a reasonable buy.

[EDIT: Yeah, as 2nyRiggz pointed out, you still have to ask yourself how long you're going to keep this pretty dated PowerBook, and whether or not it would be worth it just to save up enough to buy a new MacBook. If $500CDN is all you have and all you're going to have for another two years or so, then get the TiPB.]

4. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

5. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i plan on buying a macbook black in 2years...i just want something to play around with until...im ready to spend almost 2K on this macbook

plus buying a macbook black wont last enough all the way through university buying it now...im wating till i almost start in 2 years

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you are using it just for basic stuff like email and some web sites. I would go for it, but the price does seem a little high.

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm sure you could get an Aluminium Powerbook for that sort of price?

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have an Alu PB G4, 1.5 GHz, and I ended up upgrading from 1 to 2 GB RAM after I installed Leopard. It just ran a bit too sluggishly for my taste on 1 GB RAM. With 2 GB, it's fine. :) So consider more RAM.