It took Apple FIVE years to update the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tubeexperience, Apr 8, 2017.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

As the title said: It took Apple FIVE years to update the Mac Pro?

What are they doing at Apple?

Do them come to their offices in the morning, drink slurpees, and go home?

2. Skoal macrumors 65816

Apple isn't dumb. As much as we like to complain about "Apple is doomed" etc etc they know exactly what they are doing. All decisions are a gamble to one degree or another and they've certainly made some strange decisions in our eyes but at the end of the day they're here to earn money. I suspect the reason the Mac Pro and IMacs have been left languishing for so long is because as much as we love them they just don't produce the money like the iPhone, laptops, etc do. Most folks on Macrumors are pretty rabid about their love/hate of Apple but we are just a small portion of the consumer base Apple attends to.

3. kennyisalive macrumors regular

It took them 5 years to build up the courage to admit they were wrong.

4. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Apple has not updated the Mac Pro. Today's "new" entry Mac Pro is simply yesterday's "better" hex core config demoted to the entry config.

They've shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic.

5. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502

aaronhead14

I think you mean "4 years before Apple talks about updating the Mac Pro."

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Making a major decision and a redesign, 5 years after a major redesign is something that has to be done carefully.

7. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i think, at least some of the main design team.. and Jony Ive himself, were working on the apple campus over the past few years.. amongst other things. (not all components of the building are standard.. some of the custom parts/systems are developed - and produced- by apple themselves.)

but that aside, people like that don't show up to work, work, go home, not work..
    they're always working.. even when they're not.

8. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

You are right about product development being driven by profit (aka greed).

This motivation used to have a wide scope (aka having cutting edge pro machines or great networking gear or a line of servers supported the apple brand and encouraged developers to buy the hardware resulting in indirect profitability), but now bean-counter Tim ruthlessly looks at the bottom line for each product.

But you are wrong in your faith that apple knows exactly what they are doing... look at the apple car mess, and the rumoured last minute fall back to a small battery in the tb mbp... and now the reversal on their plans for dropping Mac Pro.

9. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Unfortunately you have those pesky shareholders to appease, just one of the evils you have to contend with when your a publicly traded company.

10. now i see it macrumors 65816

It'll more likely turn out to be six. The only wish I have is that Jony Ive won't be the one dictating the final design. If that happens, we're doomed.