Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Someone did though and have posted 3 Spyder profiles on the net that can be downloaded...
If you're a photographer, which I am, or are in another profession where a colour correct screen is crucial then forget the MacBook Pro.

If you're a photographer where colour correct screens are crucial then you should know better. Otherwise you would be aware that downloading colour profiles that have been created on a different display with different characteristics is not helpful. You should have your own colourimeter and calibrate from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple fanboy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you're a photographer where colour correct screens are crucial then you should know better. Otherwise you would be aware that downloading colour profiles that have been created on a different display with different characteristics is not helpful. You should have your own colourimeter and calibrate from that.
Correct. So many people don't understand this basic rule.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017

Well it was helpful actually, and it was helpful to several other people with a defective yellow tint to their screen. And the profiles were created by someone with the same 2014 Retina screen, not a different display with different characteristics. I don't expect laptop screens to be perfectly colour correct but I expect whites to be white and greys to be grey. Like my 2011 Macbook. You could spend the rest of your life with your own colourimeter trying to tweak these defective displays to get whites and greys and you wont succeed.
Thanks for the friendly advice and assumptions.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well it was helpful actually, and it was helpful to several other people with a defective yellow tint to their screen. And the profiles were created by someone with the same 2014 Retina screen, not a different display with different characteristics. I don't expect laptop screens to be perfectly colour correct but I expect whites to be white and greys to be grey. Like my 2011 Macbook. You could spend the rest of your life with your own colourimeter trying to tweak these defective displays to get whites and greys and you wont succeed.
Thanks for the friendly advice and assumptions.
You would succeed in about 6 minutes with a your own colorimeter. I should know. I've worked in colour management for 10 years.
Even two screens that are exactly the same model and age will show colour differently without calibration.
And they will drift over time so need doing every few weeks.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
You would succeed in about 6 minutes with a your own colorimeter. I should know. I've worked in colour management for 10 years.
Even two screens that are exactly the same model and age will show colour differently without calibration.

Have you had any experience between the spyder and the xrite calibrators? I only ask as I have heard stories about weird tints and colour shifts and botched calibration with the spyder ones.

But without having used them I can't really have an opinion.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I haven't used one myself but to put it out there. Ive

Have you had any experience between the spyder and the xrite calibrators? I only ask as I have heard stories about weird tints and colour shifts and botched calibration with the spyder ones.

But without having used them I can't really have an opinion.
The older ones have a plastic cover over the lens which can discolour over time.
Personally I'd recommend the i1 Display Pro as it has the best results in my experience.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Right well i haven't worked in colour management for over 10 years but perhaps the guy that created the profiles has. It has improved the tint of the display to the point where the laptop can be opened and looked at without getting infuriated, not just at the tint but the fact that when you show it to an Apple employee or an employee of an authorised reseller they tell you that they can see nothing wrong with it. The vast majority of my work while travelling is for web and if it is ever for print I work with a lab to get it correct for print. When the time arrives for me to be settled in a place long enough to warrant the use and expense of an external monitor I will buy one. I have attached a photo of the 2014 model (on left) next to the 2011 model. Both at factory settings. That screen on the 2014 model is the original. The replacement I got recently was even worse and with horrible uniformity. It's back getting replaced again. If you, like employess at Apple stores and reseller stores can tell me that you can see nothing wrong with the one on the left then maybe I need my eyes looked at. And I shouldn't have to go out and spend a large amount of money on a colourimeter in order to "repair" a clearly defective screen. And I'm not the only person to voice my disapproval on this issue. And...being one of the thousands of people who purchased faulty high end 2011 Macbook Pro's I'm a bit jacked off at receiving faulty goods from Apple. That 2011 has had 2 logic boards replaced and I'm just waiting for it to die again and when it does I will have no choice but to bin it.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 73

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Right well i haven't worked in colour management for over 10 years but perhaps the guy that created the profiles has. It has improved the tint of the display to the point where the laptop can be opened and looked at without getting infuriated, not just at the tint but the fact that when you show it to an Apple employee or an employee of an authorised reseller they tell you that they can see nothing wrong with it. The vast majority of my work while travelling is for web and if it is ever for print I work with a lab to get it correct for print. When the time arrives for me to be settled in a place long enough to warrant the use and expense of an external monitor I will buy one. I have attached a photo of the 2014 model (on left) next to the 2011 model. Both at factory settings. That screen on the 2014 model is the original. The replacement I got recently was even worse and with horrible uniformity. It's back getting replaced again. If you, like employess at Apple stores and reseller stores can tell me that you can see nothing wrong with the one on the left then maybe I need my eyes looked at. And I shouldn't have to go out and spend a large amount of money on a colourimeter in order to "repair" a clearly defective screen. And I'm not the only person to voice my disapproval on this issue. And...being one of the thousands of people who purchased faulty high end 2011 Macbook Pro's I'm a bit jacked off at receiving faulty goods from Apple. That 2011 has had 2 logic boards replaced and I'm just waiting for it to die again and when it does I will have no choice but to bin it.

No no I can see that. It's like looking at pictures with different white balance.

Reactions: andrewj44

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pretty sure anyone who sends profiles for you to use hasn't worked in colour management at all! That's not how it works.
Also if anyone tells you that they can't see the colour issue that means nothing. 25% of all men have some sort of colour defectiveness. We can't trust our eyes. That's why you need to measure the colour temperature of your screen.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
No no I can see that. It's like looking at pictures with different white balance.
Pretty sure anyone who sends profiles for you to use hasn't worked in colour management at all! That's not how it works.
Also if anyone tells you that they can't see the colour issue that means nothing. 25% of all men have some sort of colour defectiveness. We can't trust our eyes. That's why you need to measure the colour temperature of your screen.
I don't know if he has or hasn't worked in colour management but he posted them for people with these bad tints. As I said it's an improvement and possibly makes it worth keeping the machine. Colour temp on both screens in the pic is 6500. When they say they can't see the difference it has even been when I am showing them side by side. Yes they are right to say "but they are different displays". Stating the obvious. But to say things like "it's like when you go and buy a TV, all of them have different tints" Stating the obvious again but failing to take into account that the ones with bad tint are more often than not dirt cheap, and more importantly....you buy a TV for entertainment. A lot of people spend big money on a laptop for their income. Anyway we can go on and on about this but there is the pic. If I had a pic of the screen they replaced that one with you would see it is even worse and you would see the terrible uniformity. I've recently had long cordial conversations with people from Apple on the phone about this and they are certainly sympathetic and seem more than willing to try and resolve it for me. My fingers are crossed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't know if he has or hasn't worked in colour management but he posted them for people with these bad tints. As I said it's an improvement and possibly makes it worth keeping the machine. Colour temp on both screens in the pic is 6500. When they say they can't see the difference it has even been when I am showing them side by side. Yes they are right to say "but they are different displays". Stating the obvious. But to say things like "it's like when you go and buy a TV, all of them have different tints" Stating the obvious again but failing to take into account that the ones with bad tint are more often than not dirt cheap, and more importantly....you buy a TV for entertainment. A lot of people spend big money on a laptop for their income. Anyway we can go on and on about this but there is the pic. If I had a pic of the screen they replaced that one with you would see it is even worse and you would see the terrible uniformity. I've recently had long cordial conversations with people from Apple on the phone about this and they are certainly sympathetic and seem more than willing to try and resolve it for me. My fingers are crossed.
They are not both 6500k. Whatever it says on the machine is meaningless. The only way to know what it's set to is measure it with an instrument.

Uniformity is a different thing. Apple screens are all pretty poor in that regard.
Get yourself an Eizo CG or NEC Reference if you want uniformity.

Reactions: steve62388

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Im not expert at this but I can say just from my experience picking light bulbs for my house lately and buying based on colour temperature to get a "look".

If they are both the same colour temperature (I know they are according to settings) then my butt farts rainbows.

Reactions: andrewj44

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
They are not both 6500k. Whatever it says on the machine is meaningless. The only way to know what it's set to is measure it with an instrument.

Uniformity is a different thing. Apple screens are all pretty poor in that regard.
Get yourself an Eizo CG or NEC Reference if you want uniformity.
I used the Spyder 5 Elite to try and calibrate it and that measured it at 6500. It sorted the colours and gamma etc out but not white point. I know many of the original screens also had a problem with the anti reflective coating peeling off or leaving stains all over it. "Staingate" it was dubbed. This is a wild guess but perhaps the adhesive or whatever has been used to apply the anti reflective coating on these screens is the cause. That's a wild guess. The yellow tint issue has been dubbed "Yellowgate"

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Dumb question what do they look like side by side with the lights on.
I've only taken photos in the dark or during the day with no lights on but out of direct light. the natural light gives the 2011 a very slight blue tint and the 2014 some kind of yellowish aqua/green/cyan tint... in the photos. Neither look as they actually do with the eye. More exaggerated than what the eye sees. Actually one thing I have noticed is that if I am using my 2014 for any long period of time and then have a break and look at a white wall the wall looks muddy yellow. The wall seems white after using the other.... or as close to. There is another long thread or two on MacRumors and also Apple discussions board on this yellow tint issue where there are photos others have taken under different light. Will find some links and post a photo or two of mine later.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
He spent $2-3k for it most likely...that's what.

----------

Your returns are off to the 'refurb' store where Apple still enjoys higher margins than every other PC manufacturer, so while I'm sure they don't prefer it, it's not the end of the world. :cool:

Eh, they probably have some form of "Capital loss" and right it off anyways. Similar to AppleCare.

kngqw

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2015
Romania
Bookmarked this tread as a reminder, there are people with a worse ocd syndrome than mine.

I'm just average.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Bookmarked this tread as a reminder, there are people with a worse ocd syndrome than mine.

I'm just average.

I must say since seeing photos of some of the examples. There is something weird going on. It may be a really bad factory calibration or a hardware issue. I will say that while some of the amounts of returns are absurd. I do believe some are having issues.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
And we wonder why the cost of Apple computers keeps going up... I wonder what the hit on profits is every time an OCD customer finds a piece of lint on their beloved computer?

If they put a little quality control into their products they wouldn’t have to deal with exchanges. I’m sure the cost of the general public not noticing the terrible screens out weighs the returns.

I have found the best way to show uneven tint is to take a picture of an all black screen in a dark room. It megnifies the issue so you can really see where the screen is uneven.

Here are my last 3 phones. This is what I am seeing in real world settings, obviously more faintly on a white screen. Phone 1 and 3 haave a red tint on the left side. Note phone 3 I put the protective film back on cause I was sending back. Phone 2 was the worst in all regards with a different tint in all 4 corners. It also had sort of dark lines along he edge on a white screen as well and had bad backlight bleed at the bottom that shows up.

46E13645-12F9-40F3-BB08-00FCCC26AFE7.jpg
6E8AA470-E233-48AB-9ABE-179362A65520.png

8CA0BBA4-9F87-43D0-87A2-1EB3E706D63B.png

Here is my wife’s SE. it’s much better than all of the 8+ imo. I would take that screen all day.

974C8887-CAD8-42EC-96B5-88B0CED0E722.png

Here is my MacBook Pro Retina from this thread. After a while i stopped focusing on the issue I did not notice it anymore. I am hoping this is the same case with the phone. I can’t keep making exchanges for the 1 in a million shot I get a good one. I’m am going to stick with the phone in the first picture

B26FDE2B-37A9-446F-998D-34739C7F43A3_1.png

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I was working on the premise he'd upgraded each year.

No I still have the one in this thread.

Actually a severe yellow tint is fixed by calibrating your monitor, not returning the screen.
If you want a uniform decent screen, you don't buy apple. Or do what I do. Have an Apple computer hooked up to a decent monitor (NEC Spectraview in my case).
Apples award winning customer service is one of the reasons they charge so much in the first place. I don't mind paying for it because I've tried the other options and I don't like them.

How do you calibrate it out when only 1/4 of the screen has the tint?

Last edited:

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
If they put a little quality control into their products they wouldn’t have to deal with exchanges. I’m sure the cost of the general public not noticing the terrible screens out weighs the returns.

I have found the best way to show uneven tint is to take a picture of an all black screen in a dark room. It megnifies the issue so you can really see where the screen is uneven.

Here are my last 3 phones. This is what I am seeing in real world settings, obviously more faintly on a white screen. Phone 1 and 3 haave a red tint on the left side. Note phone 3 I put the protective film back on cause I was sending back. Phone 2 was the worst in all regards with a different tint in all 4 corners. It also had sort of dark lines along he edge on a white screen as well and had bad backlight bleed at the bottom that shows up.

46E13645-12F9-40F3-BB08-00FCCC26AFE7.jpg
6E8AA470-E233-48AB-9ABE-179362A65520.png

8CA0BBA4-9F87-43D0-87A2-1EB3E706D63B.png

Here is my wife’s SE. it’s much better than all of the 8+ imo. I would take that screen all day.

974C8887-CAD8-42EC-96B5-88B0CED0E722.png

Here is my MacBook Pro Retina from this thread. After a while i stopped focusing on the issue I did not notice it anymore. I am hoping this is the same case with the phone. I can’t keep making exchanges for the 1 in a million shot I get a good one. I’m am going to stick with the phone in the first picture

B26FDE2B-37A9-446F-998D-34739C7F43A3_1.png

Well I guess the solution to this problem is to stay out of the darkroom. To me this “scientific experiment is the equilivent of holding up a black light to a black shirt. You can see all the lint at it looks dirty, but turn the lights back on and it looks fine. Solution is to stay away from black lights. You can always find problems if you go looking for them. I used to be OCD, but tried very hard to let some things go. It takes a lot of time and effort to find fault or look for perfection in everything. Really curious to know what you went through to come up with the darkroom screen test. Good luck on your quest for perfection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.