It uses all my memory :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ItsAdot, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ItsAdot macrumors member

Ok, so I rebooted my iMac (latest gen) the last couple of days and it uses almost all of my memory, even my dock is going slow. And I dont even have a program open.

Whats the deal here :confused: ?
    http://users.telenet.be/whutever/Afbeelding 1.png

Cheers

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In that tab set the processes to be sorted by "Real Memory" and then take a screen capture of the window so we can see what's up. Also, make sure that at the top next to the search bar, the drop down menu is set to "All Processes" so we'll be able to see system processes as well as user processes.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

On activity monitor, you can sort by memory usage for each app I think - might give you some more information.

4. ItsAdot thread starter macrumors member

5. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

How many tabs do you have open in Safari? Even a few tabs with Youtube videos can take up a lot of memory.

6. ItsAdot thread starter macrumors member

None, just my main window and its mostly always on the forum I am alot on.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I'm using around a gig with only Safari and Adium open, no pages in Safari though. Is that normal?

8. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I forget the technical aspects of this. . . you might have to do your own research, but hey its 4 AM what do you epxect :p Basically Mac OS X tells programs, if the memory is there USE IT. Then once something else asks for memory Safari will share with the new app. So yes, this is normal. As for OP's problem, sorry I got nothing :(

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Huh. I'm nowhere near an expert on the MacOS's memory allocation system, but that second screenshot does look weird. You'd kind of expect RSIZE (which is, I assume, what "werkelijk geheugen" translates to) to sum up to roughly the total allocated RAM, or at least in the ballpark. I tested on my system, and the sum of that column was somewhat less than the used total shown at the bottom of the window (a quick bit of reading didn't tell me why this is, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in), but it was within maybe 15%.

The OP's system has less regular apps running than mine, and the RSIZE numbers all look totally reasonable (Safari is a little high, but not unreasonable), and it looks like it should only total to maybe a gig or so, yet it's showing 3.7GB in use. There's obviously something that isn't counted in that column eating up a lot of RAM, but I'm not seeing what it could be.

Trying a restart would probably be the first thing I'd do, but I'd also be curious as to what's going on--anybody out there who's an expert in UNIX RAM allocation want to inform us or point to a tutorial that explains it?

10. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

From the Page In and Page Out readings it is clear the system is swapping and OP has a real problem.

OP - what applications are you running? The memory readings do not show where the memory is going because I bet you have some application that is loading kernel extensions that are leaking memory. Ah - prl_disp_service - there it is - Parallels.

Now it may not be Parallels (I see some unknown apps running that may be loading Kernel Extensions ) - but what you want to do to figure out which one it is - backup and do a fresh install of the OS from your Install DVDs. Then install one application at a time and use the system and the application. Once you install an application and the problem reproduces - there you have your culprit. You will have to ask the Application's developer for a bug fix.

HTH

11. ItsAdot thread starter macrumors member

I dont think parallels is the problem, since I did not use it for the last 2 months I think... .

I removed the app iShowU HD Pro ( that was the last program I installed before I got problems) and then I did a reboot. All works normal for now, i'll see how it goes later today, only running for 20min now.

Hopefully the problem is fixed :cool:
    http://users.telenet.be/whutever/test2.png

Thanks for all the reactions ;)