It woke up when I unplugged an USB device while its asleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yishiang, Sep 19, 2010.

1. yishiang macrumors member

Is there anyway to disable that? I sometimes forgotten to unplug the device before closing the lid.
    Such as when I'm in a hurry and close the lid of the MBP, only then realize that my iPhone is still attached.

I don't want to put unnecessary stress on the harddrive by it going to sleep, waking up, then sleep again just because that unplugging an USB device woke it up.

I notice that this does not happend on my Windows laptop.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The OS does that so it runs it's post-USB ejections thingys.

Sure it's annoying because you need to wait, but don't worry about wearing stuff out. These things are machines, and they work for hundreds of thousands of hours on end.

3. moel macrumors 6502

don't worry..your not putting undue stress on anything whatsoever.

I believe that once the usb ejection has done it's thingy..then the machine will resleep itself.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Just don't do it with hard-drives too often, there's a good chance the HD isn't correctly parked, there's a small chance of causing unwanted damage leading to data lost.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before a Mac sleeps, it stores what it needs to and parks any HDs. If the Mac is in sleep mode, the drive is not being accessed, the HD will not be spinning, and no harm can come from unplugging the drive. Of course doing so will prompt the usual error message about device removal, but nothing will be damaged.