It won't let me purchase Lion, says its already installed

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by egeek84, Jul 20, 2011.

1. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

I downloaded the Lion GM last week and installed it. I am trying to purchase it now but it won't let me. I tired holding down alt and hitting the installed button but nothing happens =(

2. DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

You need to start in SL to be able to download Lion.

3. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

Dammit ok how do I revert back to SL? I didn't think i'd have to do that.

4. farmersland macrumors newbie

Why do you want to buy it? Registered developers got the GM for free. It is a fully functional and legitimate copy. As we now all know, the GM is the exact same version which is available in the Mac App Store. There is no need for buying it again or even for reverting back to Snow Leopard.

5. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

Because I pirated it and I don't support piracy, I want to pay Apple fair and square like everyone else.

6. farmersland macrumors newbie

Okay. I can understand that point. But Apple makes its money when they are selling a computer, an iPhone or an iPad to you or to me. Apple makes very little money on software. So I wouldn't take that whole piracy issue to serious.

7. as2 macrumors newbie

as2

Holding down Option/alt whilst clicking the green Buy Now button should solve this for you.

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

did u not even read the thread?

9. homrb macrumors regular

do you mean you have to completely install SL again or just boot from the disk?

10. kevin2i macrumors member

Me Too! And this is from my Mac Pro booted to Snow Leopard, with Lion GM on another partition.
    [​IMG]

11. as2 macrumors newbie

as2

I did read the thread!

My point was to hold Option down specifically on the green Buy Now button. I made the mistake of trying when you click on the price, but not the Buy Now button and it doesn't work.

12. as2 macrumors newbie

as2

Try using Disk Utility to unmount the partition that you're not using.

13. kevin2i macrumors member

Sounds simple enough. I just thought it was amusing the App Store took a peek into my system and declared it 'Installed' even thought it was not running.

For now the GM is fine as an option on the Mac Pro, the MBP will wait a few weeks for time so Apple can iron out bugs (which still exist in the GM).

14. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Do you have a Time Machine image of SL you can restore, or even just boot into? I think if you can boot into SL, during the Lion install process you can choose where to install Lion, meaning you could try to install it over your Lion GM partition. Go to System Preferences and choose Startup Disk, then see what versions of OS it shows are available to boot into. (assuming you have Time Machine running on another hard drive or partition)

15. Heston macrumors regular

Option-click the "Installed" button. It'll turn green. The option-click "Buy Now" and it'll download. Might have to give it a couple of clicks.

16. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

You also want to check and make sure you don't have the installer somewhere. I had the issue with the installed on my desktop.

17. davedude macrumors member

Send $30 to Apple in the mail. Problem solved.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

LOL did you just type that you pirated something but dont support piracy in the same sentence:D....

19. kevin2i macrumors member

No, Even when the disk is completely detached from the system, App Store says "installed."

I had to go and delete all of the installation files, then I got the "29.99" option to purchase.

20. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

Hold down option and then open the app store... Keeping option held Down click on the 29.99 or green buy now button... type in Apple ID and password and your golden !