Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wornout

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
London
Hello everyone.

I have an iPhone 3…ancient old thing that none of the apps will work on anymore. A friend has just got himself a new iPhone 5 so has given me his old iPhone 4 after he had it unlocked. I got a new micro sim for it which arrived today. Got in touch with my phone company and asked them what to do to swap over to the new sim on the new phone. My old phone was duly terminated and the new sim was meant to be up and running.

I plugged the new phone in to my Macbook Pro to sync the phone.
Now, after the laptop telling me all was done, the phone says hello and asks me to slide to set up, I choose my network then I reach the page that says Set Up iPhone and then it asks if I want to set it up as a new iPhone or to restore either from iCloud or from iTunes, I ask it to to restore from iTunes……..then it asks me to connect to iTunes again!!! No matter how often I connect it to the laptop it always comes back to this connect to iTunes page.

I even restored the phone to factory settings and at sometime during that process it confirmed that the phone was unlocked.

Anyone got any ideas of where I am going wrong?

I now have two iPhones, neither of which work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Setting up as new is the only way to go. It may be that although the carrier has unlocked the new sim and activated it, it hasn't actually gone through yet.

I've known 02 here take 48 hours....might well be worth calling them and explaining that you have no phone and are paying for a service you aren't getting...usually works here

wornout

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
London
Thank you for that Macman and you are absolutely correct……..I went into the phone shop this afternoon and they did just that, set it up as new………..and it was O2.

Why their "Guru" on the internet yesterday, I spent two hours "chatting" to him and another two and a half hours this morning doing the same, didn't know how to do that surprised me.

However, on returning home I have found that none of my contacts have moved over, seems they were on the sim not the phone so I have now moved them on to the old phone, backed it up and none of the contacts are going on to the Macbook pro………any ideas about that?

The best the phone provider could suggest was that I put them all in manually………that could take some time!!!

So if anyone can help me with that little conundrum I will be eternally grateful.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thank you for that Macman and you are absolutely correct……..I went into the phone shop this afternoon and they did just that, set it up as new………..and it was O2.

Why their "Guru" on the internet yesterday, I spent two hours "chatting" to him and another two and a half hours this morning doing the same, didn't know how to do that surprised me.

However, on returning home I have found that none of my contacts have moved over, seems they were on the sim not the phone so I have now moved them on to the old phone, backed it up and none of the contacts are going on to the Macbook pro………any ideas about that?

The best the phone provider could suggest was that I put them all in manually………that could take some time!!!

So if anyone can help me with that little conundrum I will be eternally grateful.

Check the cloud settings on the phone...it's probably disabled as you've set it up as new...this applies to iTunes too.

Never ever believe what an online 02 rep tells you...I stick with them because the service coverage is great, the CS however is garbage:)

wornout

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
London
Thanks Macman…….I don't use iCloud…………..

However, I messed about with both phones, old and new, and, not quite sure how I did it, but the contacts have now gone on to the phone.

I agree about o2 coverage. My husband is with Orange and he has to stand outside the house whereas I only need to stand by the window.:)

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.