It Works great!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Xtremjeepn, May 18, 2015.

1. Xtremjeepn macrumors regular

I figured since most happy users don't post about it, I'd share a non-complaint thread about the Apple Watch:eek:

It took me a few weeks to break the habit of trying to check my phone for missed notifications.

I filtered what goes to the watch as the high priority notifications only. This takes a little inbox and folder control of your mail settings. (Forum replies for example go into a "Forums" folder so I don't get those notifications on my watch)

The big issue with randomly checking my phone for notifications is that it sucks you in! Once you have the phone in your hand........you may as well take a quick look at Facebook, follow up on those forum emails, see if there is any new news articles, etc. :eek:

With the watch I can't give into this temptation. All I get is the important things I want. Since I can't go deeper down the rabbit hole, I don't. The urge to "make sure I didn't miss something" is going away as I get used to the watch.

I've been surprised at how many texts I can really reply with the simple quick replies. "thank you" , "Ok", etc. Which again, keeps my phone in my pocket/bag and cuts off the temptation to "do something else" with it.

In conclusion, the use of the watch has reduced the total time I'm engaged with my phone. I only check the non-essentials when I really have the time to do it. Often sitting down with my iPad to check those non-essential things.

2. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Hear, hear.

I've been glued to this forum since they stopped doing TUAW but the Watch area is getting really tiring with 'Oh man I wish it would turn up', 'It's Scratched and all I did was saw it in half with an angle grinder' and 'I'm sending it back, it won't xxx' (insert favourites here).

It's damned good and the only problems I've had so far are..

1. The brand new extra Sports band took a while to free up and get the locks to engage positively. That works fine now.

2. The crown, after about 17 days started to show a tiny bit of resistance to start turning.. I washed it and it's fine.

Great stuff Apple, really enjoying v1.0 and looking forward to seeing what you do with it but please don't lose the plot on features you didn't design it to do :)

3. Subdiv macrumors 6502

Fortunately, I finished the iced tea I was drinking before I read this, because it would have ended up all over my monitor. :D:D:D

4. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I think that is exactly the point!
    We all have habits based on the tech we had.
    Now a new thing comes along and it is not a iphone on the wrist. It is something new and with that new habits.

It took a while for me too and I have come to appreciate how liberating it is. Sure, it doesn't take much to check a message on the iPhone, but it takes even less to check on the watch.

5. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I love my watch.

I knew almost exactly what I was getting into before I ordered it and it fit my needs and desires perfectly. In fact, it does some things I hadn't thought about or been aware of that make it even better than what I was expecting.

It is not a necessary item in the same way the iPhone is, at least as necessary as an electronic item can be. It is an extension of the phone that makes certain tasks easier, not by huge and ground breaking amounts, but by enough to make things more convenient and I'm willing to pay for that convenience. And frankly, it's fun to use.

I suspect that many who are angry and disappointed really didn't research the watch before they bought it or weren't able to think it through or just rushed into it because it was an Apple product. Those people have only themselves to blame, but of course, they would rather take it out on the watch that can't fight back.

Of course there are issues. Many will be fixed in software. Some will be fixed in hardware along with new hardware features in v2 of the watch. I'll be very happy to use v1 for the next year or so, and then quickly purchase v2 of the watch.

I love the watch.

6. Subdiv macrumors 6502

This. Perfectly said.

7. Xtremjeepn thread starter macrumors regular

Wasn't bothered by forum emails yesterday. So just sat down to reply to this now.

Bought lunch at Whole Foods while holding a toddler in my arms. That is a WIN for the Pay on the Watch!!

Also paid for coffee at Starbucks the same way(passbook)

Called my wife on her watch while she was upstairs in our house and her phone was sitting next to me downstairs! She was able to answer and talk to me while changing a diaper!!!!

Yep! Figured this topic would slide into the dust here.

No complaints. Watch works great!!

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

My watch has matched all expectations. Notifications, phone calls, reminders, hand offs and battery life so far have given me no problems. Even my 6 plus seems to show hardly any additional batter drain
    The watch has blended in to my Apple Eco flawlessly

Yep it's not too shabby for me

9. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I completely agree. I bought the watch knowing that a large part of the satisfaction for me would come simply from owning a smart watch, and expecting the device to make some things simpler/quicker.

After a couple of weeks of using the watch I now never proactively check my phone for notifications, I never have to take my phone out of my pocket when using maps for directions (which I use quite a lot), and I can leave my phone docked when at home. The watch fulfils my activity tracking needs/desires. A+ from me (though I could never justify the price of a SS for the above functionality).

10. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Great thread!

The watch works perfect for me. No problems with raise wrist function, no problems with notification, no problems with battery life or straps or etc, etc, etc. it just works perfectly!

Now, I just wish I was more popular and got more incoming texts, phone calls etc. that's my only problem!!! Lol

Did I need the watch, no. Am I happy I got one, YES!!!

11. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Be grateful! The only rub of the watch for me has been that on days where I receive a lot of message notifications the messenger app on my iPhone has torn through my battery (100% -> 18% in 6 hours). Still, I expect this will be improved.

12. Xtremjeepn thread starter macrumors regular

I put my watch on at 6am and take it off at about 10pm and the battery is always about 70%.

It was also delivered about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. ;)