Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
From BBC Article:
Senders of unsolicited junk e-mails in Italy will now face jail sentences of up to three years, according to Italian media reports.

The country's privacy watchdog issued the ruling in an attempt to limit the huge amount of advertising and promotional material sent online.

Sending e-mails without the permission of the receiver is against the law in Italy.

Offenders now risk fines of up to 90,000 euros and between six months and three years in prison, if it is proved that they did it to make a profit.

The ruling follows estimates by the European Commission that spam e-mails cost EU companies approximately 2.25bn euros in lost productivity last year.
Full Article.

Good for them, now the rest of the world needs to *try* and take the same stand against the never ending rows of crap spam mail that arive in peoples mail boxes every day.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Good for Italy! Fines and jail sentences are a good first step, but the final goal should be castration and a physical beating by 5 rabid midgets.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by topicolo
Good for Italy! Fines and jail sentences are a good first step, but the final goal should be castration and a physical beating by 5 rabid midgets.
LMAO! That would be great, and I'm sure it would put more people off than just a fine or even jail time! :eek:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
what?! castration &... eewwwwww! :eek: :p

yeah, there's alot of scammers working out of Italy, or at least they say they are, but i wouldn't really take their word for it.

if it helps stop spam, and people trying to sell you a 17" PowerBook and a 23" Cinema Display for USD $1500, then i guess that's good.

richters

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2003
Originally posted by cb911
yeah, there's alot of scammers working out of Italy, or at least they say they are, but i wouldn't really take their word for it.
I dare say that most of the spam messages are from the USA. What Italy has done now is a first step of cleaning up the email-spam-mess. And other countries hopefully follow. But if Bush's USA will not do anything, i.e. clamp down hard within the USA, then it will continue to stay a problem.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Good move, but lets hope its not an exceptional case and more countries follow suit. I'm amazed sometimes at how much spam I get. I wish there was an easy way to track where it came from and who's sharing the email address info....

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Now that so many have signed up for phone blocking, which begins October 1st. I wonder what the result will be, I'm afraid that it will mean more spam E.Mail! :( Tougher prosecutions should help to curve some.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by wdlove
Now that so many have signed up for phone blocking, which begins October 1st. I wonder what the result will be, I'm afraid that it will mean more spam E.Mail! :( Tougher prosecutions should help to curve some.

thanks to the government's overly-lax legislation, the block-list has a good deal of exclusions that mean only a few calls will have to stop. I'm disappointed by it. But, I can stop getting calls from DirectTV, i had thought about getting it (since i spent like $160 on cable) but since they call EVERY DAY and use my entire answering machine tape, screw 'em!

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.