Italy: recommendation for prepaid nanonsim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

hi, hope this isn't too off topic: i'm going to Italy next week and would love to hear recommendations on carriers and places to buy an inexpensive nanonsim for my iPhone 5 (unlocked) for both voice calls and data.

is it hard to make this purchase with minimal (or no) Italian skills. any recommended shops that would be easier for someone with only a phrasebook/app to assist?

i'll be there a couple weeks and have modest needs. (at home, i use about 600mb per month, so i don't need a huge plan and i'm guessing anything over 200mb of data would be more than sufficient)

thanks in advance.

2. mitico macrumors member

Go to a TIM dealer,put down on a piece of paper the bonus you need and the dates you arrive/leave. To find dealers with "Il telefonino" sign is best as they are more realiable.

3. mitico macrumors member

TUTTO COMPRESO INTERNET SETTIMANALE (all included internet weekly),10€ per week you get:unlimited calls to both landlines and mobiles in Italy,unlimited text,500Mb of web surfing.:)

4. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you! this is so helpful. i'm there nominally for just about 1 week so this should be perfect!

that's a great deal!

5. mitico macrumors member

Good enough:). Price for the nanosim card would be 10€ (you get 5€ credit included). APN would be:wap.tim.it .

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, try to find a store near an airport or train station. I found that the closer to those you are, the better the store employees are at speaking English.

I bough a SIM card in the small town of Vinci and it was definitely a lot more challenging than the things I'd done in the more touristy areas! (The big hurdle was that they didn't understand I only wanted data without any calling minutes. We eventually figured it out.)

The most important things to learn are "Thank You" (gràh-tzee), "No Thank You" (No gràh-tzee), and "How much does this cost?" (kwahn-toh kos-tah). Get those (and your basic numbers) and you'll at least be seen as polite even if you fumble over other words.

7. mitico macrumors member

Vinci is in Tuscany where Leonardo da Vinci was born..

8. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

is "nanosim" something recognized or is there an italian term for that?

9. JackDaRos macrumors newbie

Yes, it's nanosim. If they don't understand show them the iPhone.

10. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!

hi all,

thanks to all who responded. i just got back. i ended up going with Tre but it worked out just fine for where i was (i.e., coverage was more than adequate): $8 for nanosim and $5 for 500 minutes (including calling the US) and 1GB of data. with the bigger shop nearby closed, i was stuck with the Tre network and this offering since the place i bought it from was limited in what they had available, but being able to call the US turned out to be very helpful and i am still blown away by how inexpensive the service was.