ITC Rules Against Apple in Motorola Patent Case

ay98182

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2007
re original article

possible karma effect

aapl copied xerox parc

now everyone copies aapl
actually, Steve Jobs and other Apple employees were allowed to see what was going on at Xerox Parc by the Xerox executives because they were too lacking in imagination and vision to see what kind of goldmine they were sitting on and protect it (and Xerox was also investing in Apple at that point). Jobs later hired several of the Xerox Parc team to work on Macintosh.

In the end though, should it be against the law to copy Apple's design and/or innovation? No (with some concrete exceptions). There have been multiple examples where Apple has improved on already existing technology and software (including the first GUI). But it's also pathetic to simply copy their ideas on the iPhone - to react rather than innovate (it's not always that way around, but until quite recently that has been the case far more often than not). A friend of mine used to work at Samsung's mobile design team and he was called into a meeting where his boss threw the first iPhone on the table and said 'make me something exactly like this!' They were all complacent and working under ludicrous and archaic corporate hierarchies (one ignorant and detached boss in South Korea had to approve every design and often did so on a whim...yes like Steve ;), but as Steve would say, it's all a matter of how much taste you have and how much work you put into understanding the product you're making), which meant there was no room for creativity or vision (reminds me of what eventually left IBM and Xerox behind). Why should an executive who got the job because his dad or uncle founded the company, knowing little about mobile phones and nothing about design, be the one who makes the only decision on which models are approved?

Imitation is the best form of flattery and Apple got a big head start and, what, doubled the size of their revenue with the iPhone alone? They should be satisfied with that and agree on some kind of licensing terms.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
This is a travesty of justice. I hope AAPL can hire some better lawyers and wipe the floor with these Android companies and send the Roid fanboys back to 'occupying' their parents' basement. Maybe it's time to send the Washington DC lobbyists to outright ban Android.
You don't have a wife and kids do you ?

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Excellent. Motorola is now free to continue their downward spiral, unfettered.

Keep pushing, Apple. From what we've seen at CES, there is no shortage of targets.
I knew you would find some way to make this sound like a positive for Apple.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Personally I hope Apple stages a hostile takeover of Google and rids us of Android forever. All but one or two of the higher ups at Google are HUGE fans of Apple and many were proponents of a proposed Apple|Google merger years ago. Anyone with a quarter of a brain can see how much IP has been lifted from iOS for Android.

While I am in favor of competition I see Apple's point of contention in all of this. I mean realistically look at what the average cellphone looked like before the iPhone entered the market. There was no phone with a touch screen and certainly no phone with seemingly nothing but a plate of glass for the front face. Fast forward to 2012 and 3 out of 5 phones looks basically like an iPhone knock off and no court is willing to acknowledge the plainly obvious. Considering how the court system did nothing for Apple after Microsoft poorly reverse engineered the Mac OS way back in the beginning I would think that it would be obvious that the litigation route wouldn't work. At this point I tend to think the legal system is basically a scam tilted in the direction of who has the attorney(s) a particular judge likes unless it's televised where they can't be so obviously biased. The best thing for Apple to do is to get most of the VPs at Google on their side convincing them that Google should get out of the hardware business and partner with Apple for that.

johnnyinternets

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
UK
Personally I hope Apple stages a hostile takeover of Google and rids us of Android forever. All but one or two of the higher ups at Google are HUGE fans of Apple and many were proponents of a proposed Apple|Google merger years ago. Anyone with a quarter of a brain can see how much IP has been lifted from iOS for Android.

While I am in favor of competition I see Apple's point of contention in all of this. I mean realistically look at what the average cellphone looked like before the iPhone entered the market. There was no phone with a touch screen and certainly no phone with seemingly nothing but a plate of glass for the front face. Fast forward to 2012 and 3 out of 5 phones looks basically like an iPhone knock off and no court is willing to acknowledge the plainly obvious. Considering how the court system did nothing for Apple after Microsoft poorly reverse engineered the Mac OS way back in the beginning I would think that it would be obvious that the litigation route wouldn't work. At this point I tend to think the legal system is basically a scam tilted in the direction of who has the attorney(s) a particular judge likes unless it's televised where they can't be so obviously biased. The best thing for Apple to do is to get most of the VPs at Google on their side convincing them that Google should get out of the hardware business and partner with Apple for that.
Logged in to vote this down. Pathetic post.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Which matters because?
Matters because it starting to show that Apple really is playing dirty and willing to turn into a patent troll because it can not compete in innovation. It has turn to litigation because it sees products that in many ways are better than its own. It showing that iOS is showing that it is old.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Which matters because?
Why don't you read the post I replied to. Perhaps then it will make sense to you. I know you've dodged this one since I posted about it. Kinda hard for you to make Apple look good on this one?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Matters because it starting to show that Apple really is playing dirty and willing to turn into a patent troll because it can not compete in innovation. It has turn to litigation because it sees products that in many ways are better than its own. It showing that iOS is showing that it is old.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/13/nokia-sells-more-than-450-patents-to-patent-troll/

Nokia sells more than 450 patents to patent troll

Following a long history at the forefront of the wireless industry, Nokia holds more than 30,000 patent licenses and applications. On Thursday, the Finnish vendor’s portfolio was confirmed to be slightly lighter as patent troll Sisvel International announced that it had acquired more than 450 Nokia patents. According to the Italy-based patent licensing firm, more than 350 of the patents it acquired from Nokia are essential to wireless standards.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/sisvel-acquires-nokia-patents/

Sisvel International acquires over 450 Nokia patents, most of which relate to wireless

Remember Sisvel International? You know, that company that linked up with Apple and Siemens in order to engage on a full-on patent assault during CeBIT 2010? It's back, and it's snapping up 47 patent families comprised of more than 450 patents and applications originally filed by Nokia. We're told that the patents and patent applications "cover technologies used in a wide range of mobile communications devices and services," with over 350 of 'em being called "essential" to second, third and fourth-generation communications standards, including GSM, UMTS / WCDMA and LTE.

The balance of the portfolio -- just in case you're curious -- consists of implementation patents including video encoding optimization technologies. Not surprisingly, the acquired patents remain subject to certain prior agreements and Nokia is licensed under the portfolio as part of the acquisition.
And previously . . .

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-offloading-intellectual-property-to-the-patent-troll-Mosaid-to-collect-two-thirds-of-the-racket_id21751

Nokia offloading intellectual property to the patent troll Mosaid, to collect two thirds of the racket

Nokia is going Tony Soprano on the mobile industry by releasing 2000 of its wireless patents to the patent troll company Mosaid, and will collect 66% of the proceeds the Canadians manage to squeeze from litigation.

Mosaid already has experience with IT lawsuits against Dell, HTC, Sony Ericsson, RIM, Huawei, Wistron, ASUS, Lexmark, Canon and Intel, among others. Nokia has likely chosen it precisely on account of those valuable skills, and probably encouraged by its own win against Apple, which resulted in more than half a billion dollars settlement, plus ongoing royalties from each iPhone Cupertino makes.
http://techrights.org/2011/09/02/microsofts-admits-using-mosaid/

Microsoft Confirms Role in Preparing to Litigate Using Patent Trolls as Proxies

Summary: “Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid,” claims Mary Jo Foley, who calls the patent troll a “patent licensing firm”

IT was yesterday that we first found out about Nokia/Microsoft armament of a patent troll. The following day, semi-official Microsoft PR dunce Mary Jo Foley admitted that “Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid, a Canadian patent licensing firm. The Redmond company has a “passive economic interest,” its officials are saying.” So we were right all along.
http://www.osnews.com/story/25253/Microsoft_Praises_Its_Own_Patent_Troll_Behaviour

Microsoft Praises Its Own Patent Troll Behaviour

Microsoft chest-thumping about being a patent troll.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2011/10/23/microsoft-s-new-patent-agreement-with-compal-a-new-milestone-for-our-android-licensing-program.aspx

Microsoft’s New Patent Agreement with Compal: A New Milestone for Our Android Licensing Program

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And previously . . .
So that justifies it? Everyone else does it? I'm sure being the open minded individual that you are that you will remember this when it Appleies (get it, applies :D) to another company that you'll stand and defend them as arduously as you do Apple. If Samsung copies, it's ok because Apple does too, etc, etc.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm glad that you've now changed your position to a more sensible one.
So you agree that anything is ok as long as everyone else does it? No more complaints about Samsung copying Apple since Apple copies others too?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

johnnyinternets said:

Logged in to vote this down. Pathetic post.
Do you feel better now?

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
3 Reasons to not visit macrumors as often as I used to:

1. Boring Lawsuit news
2. LTD
3. LTD

If you want to read decent tech news (Apple or others) visit The Verge.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This is a travesty of justice. I hope AAPL can hire some better lawyers and wipe the floor with these Android companies and send the Roid fanboys back to 'occupying' their parents' basement. Maybe it's time to send the Washington DC lobbyists to outright ban Android.

Why fandroids trolls try to make Apple owners look silly?