Itch and rash under the heart rate sensor?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by parrot5, Oct 7, 2015.

1. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I've read many stories about how some people get a rash under the sports rubber band, but my itchy bumps are under the heart rate sensor ONLY. Anyone experienced this?
    I wear the band during the night for sleep tracking, so about 8 hours, and then 5 hours max in the evening. I don't wear it during the day.
    I have the grey sports version.

2. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

I've experienced this same issue. The skin under the watch was moist and tender. Then I would scratch it because it itched and I had a rash for about a day.

What I realized for myself anyway, was that a normal watch I would remove at the end of the day and put on in the morning. Since the Apple watch is monitoring my movement and the sport band is so comfortable, I sometimes sleep with the watch. So, I'm wearing it more often then not and I need to remove it once or twice a day for ten minutes or so when I feel persperation or moisture and let my skin air dry.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

4. friedmud macrumors 65816

How often do you clean your watch? It sounds like it could be a buildup of oils or even bacteria that's causing irritation.

I clean mine every day after my workout. I just rinse it under lukewarm water and dry it really well.

Never had a problem with the Watch causing any discomfort on my arm (and I wear it every waking minute).

5. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

this sounds like a case of just simple irritation. If you get sweaty under their, and are active with the watch on, fine cuts in the back ( or just normal rubbing ) will irritate the skin. You probably notice this more so because you've likely never worn a watch so much ( as someone else pointed out ). I'd take the watch off for a day or two and see if it comes back, isolate that that's the cause. I work at a desk, so i dont get very sweaty / active, so i can't confirm nor deny myself :(

6. laurenashley macrumors regular

laurenashley

I haven't had a rash or anything, but I do get the occasional bumps. When I had to walk to class in the midwest humidity awhile ago it got pretty bad, I had about 3-5 red bumps in that one small area. I still get them just not as often...

7. SG94 macrumors member

SG94

This could be sweat related or you could be sensitive to the adhesive used to fix the sensor in place. If you contact the Apple CRC they have a detailed questionaire they take you through.
    I was reacting to the sports version and had to move up to the SS, and while they can't or won't do this for free, I was given an iPod nano and strap to offset the cost.
    :)

8. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's brand new. Maybe it's the chemicals left from the factory then. I've still worn it everyday and only that one tiny red bump is still there. No new ones. It may clear on its own. We'll see.

9. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've worn a Pebble Steel for a couple years before the Apple Watch. Same conditions and activities with sweat and moisture. Sometimes a few drops of water got splashed there from washing my hands. I even wear it on rainy days. No problem with the steel, but odd that I got a problem under the plastic. Maybe it rubs more because it's plastic and it's a dome. But since it only happened after the first wear, now I think maybe it's some leftover chemicals or particles from the factory.
    I know this type of rash may take a week or two to completely clear for me, so if there are no new ones, I hope it does clear on its own.

(Anyone plays the violin? I get a bigger rash on my neck from cheap metal of the chinrest clamp before. I even get a blister and similar small bump on my right thumb from the metal part of the bow. I'm fine with quality metals like sterling silver and steel (so the Pebble Steel was great). It's just that it never happened with plastic before, and this one from the Apple Watch is definitely under the plastic sensor cover.

10. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The SS has a glass cover instead right? Do you find it rubs less or more with moisture?

11. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I had this same problem. I covered the dome with a screen protector called Zagg. Since I put this over some the rash has stopped. I was told the space grey watch has nickel and I must have an allergy to it

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Had same issue with a Sport. Switched to SS and problem went away.

13. parrot5 thread starter macrumors 6502

my last update: no more bumps after that first one. It's gone by now.
    Guess I should have given the watch a wipe before wearing it.