Itching To Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SevengerNC, Apr 19, 2012.

  1. SevengerNC macrumors regular

    SevengerNC

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2012
    Location:
    Winston Salem, NC
    #1
    I've made up my mind, watching YouTubes and reading articles. I'm going to switch to a MAC. Been a PC man since middle 90's, but I want to try something new while I still have a brain left.
    (btw, had iPhone & iPad for years - love those things)

    The Mac Air is so cool looking, and I'm thinking the 13" 128 model - will use external usb for storage.

    The MacBook Pro 13" is also so cool and more bang for your bucks. I rarely move my laptop from the stand it sits on in front of my couch so I'm thinking why spend more for the Air - other than the fact it looks so cool.

    I don't use my PC for any complicated projects - just normal surfing, emailing, photos, home movie editing . . .

    Help - what would you do?

    And, if I'm reading correctly, it says Don't Do Anything Now - Big News Coming. Heck, my stockbroker used to say things like that. From what I can see Air has been 270 days since new machine & Pro a lot less so it might be safe buying the Pro without feeling like I should have waited.
    Is there any indication out there as to when the new stuff is coming?

    Thx !
     
  2. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

    jmoore5196

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest US
    #2
    If you read the myriad other posts on this point, a lot of people are in the same boat.

    I think many of us have the feeling that the 15" MacBook Pro will be updated soonest; the 13" version and the MacBook Air may lag behind a bit. Whether the "bit" is several weeks or months remains to be seen, and anyone who claims to know is speculating or delusional.

    As Steve Jobs once said, eBay was created to sell used Macs. I'm not sure that's true, but eBay and Craigslist serve the same purpose. Buy what you want, when you want it. When something new comes along, there will always be folks ready to take your used gear. You'll lose money, certainly, but I've always found the enjoyment of owning a new Mac more than made up for the depreciation.
     
  3. moveright macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    #3
    I just bought the MBA 13/128 and I don't regret it at all. Its an amazing machine for 1300 bucks.

    I WAS going to wait for a newer version but after thinking it out, I just went for it. Here's why:

    1. the nth degree - if you take this to the nth degree, you'd never buy one because why buy version 3 if you can wait and get version 4? why not just wait for 5 then? etc, etc.

    2. reality - IF you wait for a newer one, fine. but I doubt if the new one is going to have a processor twice as good, double the ram, etc etc for the same price.

    Bottom line fence pusher for me was that I just really feel that for the money, this is more than enough machine thus, a good value. And, I couldn't be happier either, it really is wonderful to use.

    now, 2 small gripes -- SMALL -- gripes.

    1. totally unrealistic but, I wish the battery would last 5 hours regardless of what I'm doing on the machine

    2. as tiny as this machine is, its amazing that everything fits inside of it BUT, despite the impressive feat of creating something such as this, I honestly believe Apple could have stuffed an rj45 port in here somewhere. Yeah, I'll just buy the adapter but I think they could have fit a LAN port. just saying.
     
  4. tamu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    #4
    If you dont really need it, you should wait. Rumors said at the end of this month, new macbook pro 15'' will be launched and MBA might be a bit behind ( July I guess). You have been long enough with PC then 60 more days will not a big deal for you.

    Wait for new ones.
     
  5. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

    Winter Charm

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    #5
    I agree. Unlike the PC's that release incremental hardware updates from time to time, when Apple updates hardware, it's almost always a VERY significant upgrade. :)

    Wait if you don't absolutely need it. In the meantime, you may want to check out some of these videos. They are quite useful if you've had very little exposure to macs.

    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

    I recommend at least watching:
    "PC to Mac: the basics" and
    "Anatomy of a Mac"

    :) Cheers. :)
     
  6. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #6
    Wait or you'll be sorry, Ivy Bridge will bring cooler temps and longer battery live, along with other incremental upgrades.
     
  7. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

    jmgregory1

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    #7
    If Apple releases a new one at the end of the month, you'd be fine to buy now and return if you felt the need. I've got the 13" 128gb that I bought for work last August. I love it. Makes my old work computer, a 2007 15" mbp feel like a dog.

    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now. And do NOT get the 13" pro version. You're not getting more for the money. You're really getting less. My wife has one from her work and it is a dog compared to my air - she prefers using mine for off hours web browsing because it's lighter, runs longer and cooler, and it's just that much faster because of the ssd. I'm thinking of getting her one for her side job, just so I can keep mine solely for work (and perhaps some macrumor forum use).
     
  8. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

    Jobsian

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #8
    Wait, we're getting closer to some notebook release, be it MBA or MBP. In the past few days other manufacturers have been leaking details of their Ivy Bridge models (much to the ire of Intel). Apple won't be far behind.
     
  9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #9
    It ONLY make sense at this point if you are buying refurb 2011 mba...
     
  10. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

    SevengerNC

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2012
    Location:
    Winston Salem, NC
    #10
    ok thanks. Looks like it makes sense to keep waiting. I'm leaning toward the Mac Air 13" 128; especially with someone's comment about his Air running better than his wife's Pro. And I keep reminding myself I'm not throwing all my pc's in the trash anyway if I want to make cds.
    Thx!
     
  11. tamu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    #11
    You still have an option of buying Air at BestBuy and return it if Apple launch a new one within a month. I prefer waiting. It makes me feel like the new Air will be more valuable.
     

Share This Page