Items being rearranged on desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 204467, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense, but that's the best I could do. I was trying to talk a screen shot and I think I pressed the buttons funny, when I noticed that instead of my icons being in the random order at any point in the screen, they had suddenly been locked into a line under my HD icon. I can't move any of the icons, what's happened? How do I fix this? I liked having my icons wherever I wanted them, why can't I do it now? Any help (that actually helps, of course) is much appreciated.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

click on your desktop. press command+J to bring up the view options. make sure its not set to arrange them by grid or any other order. so the last box shouldn't be checked.

3. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks! I didn't even know you could do that. I especially didn't know that you could adjust icon size there, I thought you had to go to Terminal and enter some long command to do it.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no problem. you can actually do this with any finder windows even. or set one and apply it to all of them to default to that setting. no terminal messiness at all. :)

5. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very useful! Thanks a lot.