Items/documents in folders disappear then reappear - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ProPedderKustom, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ProPedderKustom macrumors regular

My MBA has developed an annoying issue in the last 2 weeks. Sometimes I will be browsing through Finder and I click a folder that has items in it, but it comes up empty. Restarting the computer or relaunching Finder fixes this, for a day or two.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Please help me.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I've noticed that problem a few times when opening a partition on the desktop.
    See a little spinning progress bar, but none of the files I know are there.
    Restarting Finder fixes things, but the problem hasn't happened often enough for me to figure out what's causing it.

3. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

How often does it happen to you?

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

5. ProPedderKustom thread starter macrumors regular

Did it happen after a particular update or anything? I noticed it after going to 10.7.2.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Yup, it showed up with 10.7.2.
    However, I've been doing a lot of fiddling with items on partitions recently, so the problem might have been there earlier, and slipped notice.

7. Dave16a macrumors newbie

Items/documents in folders disappear then reappear - HELP!

I'm having what sounds like the same problem. I'm running 10.7.5. A few times in the last couple weeks most my files disappear in finder. Many of the directory names remain. But if I open terminal and navigate through the folders, all my files are there. Everything goes back to normal if I restart.

I haven't set up any partitions. I do usually connect to a microsoft server that has additional files, and the server can have problems of it's own. But the disappearing problem is with local files. A friend complained to me once about this same problem.

Not that restarting periodically is so bad, but the problem seems strange.