Items from the Documents folder can not be emailed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GilesM, Nov 5, 2008.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I have encountered a problem on my friends iMac and was wondering if you can help.
    She wants to email a 'Pages' document that is in her 'Documents' folder.
    The email is a web-based HotMail account.
    When the email is composed and one attempts to attach the file, one can navigate to the documents folder, but the files are all 'greyed' out thus preventing the attachment.
    This is not restricted to the one document, but seems to apply to many different documents in the folder, but not all.

There is only one user account on the iMac and it is set at an administrative level.
    Permissions seem to be correctly set.

I used my iMac and Ichat to screen sharing and have verified the issue.

Any advice ? Why can't they attach this document ? :confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The problem is that .pages files are essentially folders with a number of files inside them, and Hotmail won't let you attach a folder.

Try right clicking on the .pages file in Finder and choosing "Compress..." from the contextual menu. That will create a .zip file of it that should attach just fine, and anybody should be able to unzip it.

3. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, I will give it a go

Thank you, I shall try this out. I did not realise that Pages documents are created like this, nor did I realise the inability of hotmail to email folders.

Thanks again.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can also export Pages documents to 4 other formats including PDF, Word, Rich Text, or Plain Text. Any of the exported formats will be capable of being emailed.

5. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

great - thank you also

Great, this is just what I needed to know.

Thank you!