"items not in my library" not working for movies!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Number6, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Number6 macrumors member

Hi,

ever since I installed iTunes 11 one particular function of my streaming setup seems to be broken. I run a Mac Mini as my home server and have a Mac Pro in my home office. As a safety measure I keep the same iTunes library on both. I usually rip and tag my movies on the Mac Pro and then transfer them to the Mac Mini. That used to be very simple as I just had to pick the menu "items not in my library" on the Mac Mini and it would show me the new movies and then I would hit "import".

This is not working anymore and I just cannot figure out what has changed with iTunes 11. Of my roughly 300 movies it tells me that 250 are not in my library. Of course they are, but I cannot find out what is different with the 50 movies that are not shown. There are 20-odd movies which I purchased from Apple but that still leaves 30 movies which are somehow different.

The astonishing thing is that home sharing still works correctly for music! Both purchased tracks and CDs I rip myself will get transfered and not show up as missing anymore. But music videos and TV shows are screwed up as well.

To clear up the issue: I have no problem streaming content to my Apple TVs from either machine. It's just become a major pain to keep my movie libraries in sync. I suspect a tagging issue but why are certain movies not affected then?

Has anyone here gone through the same problem? The problem doesn't seem to be widespread as Google turned up two other guys with the same problem and no replies. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is driving me crazy.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Could the iTunes database have been corrupted during the update? Sometimes deleting everything in the library and re-importing the files cleans up odd database issues. Easy and worth a try.

3. Number6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! But on which machine should I do this? On both? That will take some time (job for a rainy weekend). So nobody else has the same problem? Really strange...