Items showing up in Desktop folder, but not on the desktop itself

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

This doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough to create a thread about it to find out what's going on.

I usually keep my desktop empty and use it to store stuff I'm going to process in the next hour anyway.
    Sometimes my desktop is absolutely empty, but when I navigate to the following path: User\Desktop, the files do show up.

Any explanation?

2. dave12345 macrumors regular

Hey - I get this too - If I export an aiff from logic 8 to my desktop it doesn't show up on the desktop itself but does if I open User/Desktop in finder ...

anyone know what's going on ?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What if you just press command+shift+D while in Finder? What shows up there?

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

The problem isn't occuring right now, but I assume that does show the files.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, give it a shot next time it happens. It's possible that you're just ending up in the wrong desktop folder.

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Just tried it, and as I thought, when I press Shift+Command+D, the files DO show up. But they don't on the desktop itself...

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I get this weird issue too! Restarting the Finder (via the Force Quit dialog) cures it temporarily, but it tends to come back with new files placed there.