Itether iPhone question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macswitcha2, Nov 21, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Simple question, can it work on a jb iPhone to a non jb iPad?

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, if you have a jailbroken iPhone with a tethering application that can create a wireless hotspot (like MyWi), you will be able to connect to it on your non-jailbroken iPad.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

While most of this statement is correct, the answer to the OP's specific question is No. iTether installed on an iPhone will NOT allow you to tether a non JB iPad. iTether is installed on a JB iPad, allowing it to use Bluetooth tethering. The iPad is not natively enabled to do this. This also means that TetherMe on the iPhone will also not alone allow you to tether an iPad--it must be paired with iTether to work with that device.

If you do not want to JB your iPad, as ideal.dreams said, you need a wifi hotspot. Your options are MyWi or PDANet, both of which produce wifi hotspots the iPad can connect to. A few people have used HandyLight and a workaround involving a carefully kludged ad hoc network as well--instructions are posted in the iPad hacks forum--but from a practical perspective this isn't a good option for most folks as a number of things don't work using that setup.

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, cool, thanks.

Darn it! That sucks! Thanks for the heads up!

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Spend the $20 for MyWi. It's easily worth it for the functionality you gain.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yup well worth 10,$20 or more, very good software

7. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

On a JB iPhone, using myWi, what do I have to do to make sure AT&T does not charge me, or does it really matter since I have been grand fathered in the unlimited 3g plan? I'm assuming that this will be tethering my iPhone to a mac using the 3G network correct?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

People have been using Mywi with no detection issues by AT&T. Mywi doesn't enable tethering (it creates an ad hoc wifi hotspot), to answer your other question.
    BTW, if you're concerned about detection, keep your data use to a reasonable level, around 5GB/month. If you start consuming 50 GB/month, AT&T will know something is up.