iTether me this and Tetherme that!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macswitcha2, Nov 23, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I want to know if I'm good to go. I went ahead and invested $7 on the aforementioned tethering apps put don't know about the patch I hear about that I have to also get. Does the patch automatically comes with itether or is that a separate install?

Also, I have not JB my ipad, waiting to the ios 4.2 JB. In any case, I want to know how I can tether to my macbook?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Since you bought TetherMe, you don't need the patch.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, so this means that I won't be charged for using my 3G network correct?

One more question, I tried this out with my iMac and I managed to pair the iphone up with it but every time I try to make a connection it shows the following:

Attached Files:

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You won't be charged above what you're paying for your data plan.

On you iMac, click on the BT icon and select Connect to your iPhone network.

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I did, then I got the above message.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Did you go into General-Network and turn Internet Tethering On?

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

see this is why MiWi FTW $20, and i've never had an issue making a WiFi network

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, tethering is on on my iPhone.

I may have to chalk the seven dollars as a lost and spend the $20 if this thing don't connect. What a bummer if this is the case.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You are doing something wrong. This works fine between my MBA, my iMac and my iPhone. Delete your iPhone on your iMac and start over.

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it possible that my home wifi is interfering? In any case, I will delete to see if that fixes it.

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No, I had my iMac and MBA11 connected to my iPhone at the same time they were connected to my WiFi network.

12. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

It works fine. Seamlessly! It was human error that prohibited the connection, see below.

I connected just fine on my macbook, using the connection now, it was that I was using the wrong iPhone connection. I have an iPhone 4 but the phone was off at the time. I'm using my JB iPhone 3gs to tether.

Thanks! I don't know sometimes which is smarter, a human or a computer..LOL.

13. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Because you haven't enabled it. Either use the SBSettings tethering toggle to turn it on or go to Settings > General > Network > Tethering and turn it on.

FWIW: Tethering speeds are far better on the iPhone4 compared to the 3GS and even iPad.

14. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I only paid $2 for tetherme...did they raise the price?

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No. As the thread title mentions, TetherMe and iTether are $7 total.

16. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

To sum up tetherMe and iTether.

tetherMe $1.99 - only need this if you want to tether your macbook to your iPhone (and ripping off AT&T) - what you are really doing is illegally activating the ON switch for the built in tethering.

iTether $4.99 - (requires tetherMe) - only get this if you want to tether your iPad to your iPhone and want the best possible battery life. Even if you paid for tethering, AT&T doesn't even provide the ability to tether your iPhone to your iPad. They want you to buy the more expensive iPad and the 3G additional service. That's what iTether does... it fills in the missing software.

IMHO, PdaNET and MyWi are a waste of cash. They completely bypass the built-in tethering software and create a wireless access point using battery-draining WiFi. They are both more expensive so don't get these unless you really a bunch of your friends to jump on your iPhone at the same time.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Definately not a waste of cash.
    MyWi is one of my favorite JB apps.
    It includes usb tethering and you can also use WEP encryption when you're wifi tethering or even lower the transmit power so you use up less battery and only devices close to you can connect.

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Eveyone is entitle to have an opinion, but MiWi is NOT a wasted of cash if you really need a Mobile Hotspot and NOT a sigle connection, itether + TetherMe are to Tether single device to the Phone, If you need to have your laptop + iPad + maybe a PSP or DS for the kids connected on the road, MiWI is the ONLY way (currently), believe me $20 on those cases is nothing

19. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Also, MyWi's speeds are consistently faster for me than tetherme.

$20 to create a hot spot where ever you are is not a waste of money. I agree with you.

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

People who find these 'problems' with MyWi start from an unnatural anger about its price, which causes all these 'deficiencies' to magically surface.:D